1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching this gun and am thinking of buying one tmr. I have read some threads with members complaining of getting hit in the face with casings. Do many of you have this problem or is this very limited? Does this happen with the fullsize guns or just the Commanders size SC. Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
only had one casing strike the edge of my glasses in about 1K rounds with my full size

personnaly I think it is also ammo related, because the other week I had my Glock case-punch me in the face for the first time in 4 years but it was with ammo I had never shot before

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have had no problem since paying more attention to my grip. I was surprised that limp wristing could be a factor. I have fairly thick grips on mine (from SW during one of the service visits) that I am thinking of changing out for thinner grips (I think this makes sense) to ease this problem as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm a lefty and have never had casings in my face from my Sc. An M-1 Carbine bounces cases off my forehead, but that's another story!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a novice with 125 round through my 1911pd, I've had this happen 2-3 times. Limp wristing a big bore,short, light-weight pistol is what I have been told causes this.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine does it locked into a rest, throws them to the left, to the right, etc. Only got hit in the forehead once in 3k rounds though. Still 0 feeding or firing errors outside of shooting a batch of 100 wadcutters, where I had 2. Sending it to Smith when the mailer arrives to get the extractor tuned, crown fixed, and the grip safety tightened.

Love this pistol. Though I do want to add a Kimber Custom Target someday, just to have it matched with my Rimfire Target.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just picked my SC uptoday from the gun store. Went to the range and shot 72 rounds. These were all reloads with the brass fired a couple of times previously. I had a couple of rounds hit me in the face, and a couple that bounced off the top of my head. A couple other of my 1911's do this occasionlly. It pretty much tossed the rest of them over my head and behind me. I thought that kinda odd. I never had one problem with FTE though. I will get some more rounds down it and see what happens.

·
Registered
353 Posts
250 rounds through my S&W 1911SC and about 5 or more spent shells to the fore head... :scratch: Absolutly reliable though... :p

·
Registered
228 Posts
You know, I've had this issue only after some long sessions at the range I attribute to fatigue(limp wristing) on my part. I've also seen new shooters have this issue due to improper technique.

But - I've also heard it happen on new pistols right outta the box with experienced shooters. Somebody mentioned it may be related to the extractor angle or tension?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I only have it when my grip breaks down. If you're having it on the last round, I would also check your grip. The pistol will have less mass to resist recoil when the mag is empty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts