1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Hmmm...rifle with a round in the chamber bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck. Darwin Award anyone?
Most people are ignorant and ignorance is not a bliss. People get their firearms training from tacticool firearms videos on tube. No longer parents to teach them as kids or extra money to get training from top tier instructors. They and innocent bystanders pay price for that ignorance.

· Registered
4,833 Posts
They have had quite a few stories where a dog tripped the trigger on a gun while the owner was going over a fence or with the gun leaning against a tree or on the ground even. The gun in the front cab of a pickup with the dog inside is another one too. That last one sounds more like someone illegally hunting from the road to me or a poacher and they took their dog with them too.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
I read the very first sentence and then ...............

"A Kansas man died this weekend after his dog shot him with his own rifle in a freak hunting accident, police said."

I immediately thought, "how in the heck did his dog pull the bolt back, chamber a cartridge, and then pull the trigger to accidentally shoot him with his hunting rifle????" I read further and it said the dog stepped on the rifle in the backseat of his pickup truck, hitting him in the front passenger seat. Then I thought, how stupid for a hunter to keep his bolt action rifle with a round chambered, ready to fire in the back seat while he's driving. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I feel really bad for his dog. It's not the dog's fault. It's the idiot hunter's fault.

· Registered
342 Posts
Yup, Darwin award. First, most state hunting laws requure that rifle/shotgun be unloaded in a vehicle, unloaded in Texas means no live round in chamber. Second, having dog, or kids, in a backseat with a loaded firearm is just stupid.

Reactions: Ernest T

· Registered
6,732 Posts
Was it the dog that also call 911? The article is very unclear on that point. However, it does confirm that the dog was a Kansas native and not originally from a 'blue' state, so perhaps the dog knew exactly what it was doing????

Yes, it is a tragedy, but foolishness has a way of 'autocorrecting' sometimes.

· Registered
14,679 Posts
Cats rule. Now, if a cat shoots a dog, then we might be entering a new era of "gun control legislation".

· Registered
3,254 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts