1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want it to be said that us CD owners were unresponsive lumps of...well...err...humanity, I guess.

Anyway, my CD (Field EFS) is at the KBI Resort and Spa in Harrisburg PA for a little "treatment".

I had some of the common problems I have read about here before: last round failure to go into battery, sharp edges on the trigger, slide release, and safety - that sort of thing. I suppose I could have gone and gotten some new parts I thought I would give KBI a shot, since the consensus here has been that their Service Dept. has treated them well. I'll report back the results of their "treatment".

Scott

·
Registered
356 Posts
Look forward so seeing your report. I am also glad the pwers that be restored the CD forum.

------------------
He who assails us does so without impunity.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mr. Smith,
If the service I got was typical, you should be quite pleased with you Chuck when you get it back.

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mr.SmithMSU I'm not a charles daly user but saw the MSU. I graduated from there in '83. Just wanted to say hi.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, other than the minor extractor problem, I don't have any complaints with my CD. I must apoligize for not posting as frequently, but its hard to find something to say when you own the best bang for the buck........other than to prostelytise(sp) about it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Charles returned on Friday. I can't say I was very pleased with the response.

I had a list of 9 issues. At the top of the list was a consistent last round failure to go into battery, closely followed by very sharp edges on the trigger, safety lever, and slide stop lever (sharp enough to be painful after just a few shots!), and some other "finish" issues that I thought were a little too rough.

Their response to the feed issue was to send 2 new mags (MecGar is stamped on them), and to tell me that they fired it with Winchester and American Eagle and CCI ammunition with no failures, and the problem was with the inexpensive ammunition I was using (Sellier & Bellot, PMP Denel, and CCI Blazer)

My first reactions were:
1. I bought a "value" pistol, but I have to feed it Premium ammo?
2. You guys must not have fired this thing more than once or twice, because your finger would have been hurting from the sharp edge on the trigger! Or you wear gloves to keep your fingers from being injured by the sharp edges on your triggers!

But, being the fair-minded person I am, I thought I would try it out myself. So I went and bought a box of Winchester White Box and a box of American Eagle and went off to the range.

I first loaded up the 25 rounds of S&B I had left. All of them went off without a hitch, so I thought maybe the feed problems were fixed with the new mags. Then I loaded up the Winchesters, and the first couple of mags went fine, but then the feed problem came back, and continued through half a box of Winchester and half a box of American Eagle. Almost every mag from about the 40-round mark was having the same last-round failure. So even with the factory-recommended ammunition, there is still a feed problem.

As for the sharp edges and finish issues, their reply was that all of these were within factory specifications and therefore weren't a problem.

Now, I realize that a 1911 needs some break-in time to really see how it is going to be, so I'm willing to keep shooting and see how it goes, but these sharp edges can't be factory spec, can they? That just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not expecting the ultimate smooth-job, but the trigger and safeties are the places I would spend a little time to make them comfortable to shoot.

So, I'm glad to have it back, but it still isn't right.

[This message has been edited by MrSmithMSU (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Time equals money.

From what I've seen, CDs are a lot about "looks" to the point of letting such things as quality go by the wayside.

Look at all those "custom" features. What they are is cheap copies of parts form wilson or other quality suppliers. Even the most ardent CD fan (guess who I'm thinking about) has replaced darn near every one of those parts.

If it makes you feel better, I had a Llama mini-max subcompact that would cut my hand up due to a sharp safety. It was nearly impossible to clean due to all the pits and sharp edges that made up most of the internals.

The good thing about the CD is that the basic models are cheap enough that a few parts replacements will still leave you with cash in your pocket. As for the higher dollar models, I can't see spending the money.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the gunsmiths at KBI are not really gunsmiths. They just replace parts. I had to send mine back twice, and they never fixed the problems I had. After having enough of their sloppy "gunsmithing" service, I took my 1911 and Hi Power to Kurt Wickmann. After a few hours of his magic, both firearms are 100% reliable. Hell, he even knew what was wrong with the guns before taking them apart!

My suggestion, if they don't fix it right the first time you return it, spend a few dollars more and have a real gunsmith look at it, not a KBI learned from a correspondence course gunsmith.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I think you could be correct.

Obvious problems get a parts replacement, while anything not obvious gets a new gun. I guess denial of the problem is the other option that I hope they won't use much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts