1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I've had this Colt for several years now. I spent a summer working in a propane yard in order to purchase it as 21st birthday present for myself. While working during those hot summer days, I remember planning out every little modification I'd make. When I finally got the gun, I was shocked at how good the little guy shot. I vowed to learn to shoot the gun (atleast 2,000 rounds) and then add the modifications it "needed."

Well after losing track of the round count I finally decided to order a series of parts and revisit the Colt for my 24th birthday. I tried to keep the modifications simple and to not disrupt the natural feel and look of the pistol. Overall I'm quite proud of the modifications, the pistol shoots wonderfully. Having used this site for several years, I've yet to post a single picture so I guess its about time to pay the piper. Please feel free to ask me/pm me about any of the parts, and Ill give you my 2 cents.

Pistol: Colt Commander 1991 (NRM)
Parts list:
1. Harrison Design Extreme Service Trigger (med.).
2. Harrison Design Retro Rear Sight (U-notch).
3. Smith & Alexander Arched MSH.
4. Cylinder & Slide Series 80 Reduced Trigger Pull Kit.
5. Wilson Combat Commander Spring Kit.
6. Buffalo Bone Grips (can provide details, if requested).
7. "Flower" Engraved Grip Screws (Boone Trading Co.).

Sorry ahead of time for the poor cellphone pictures! Happy Friday!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Nice work ethic. And nice Commander, my personal favorite size.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Nice looking pistol. Nice modifications. I too modified my 1911 to an arched MSH and short trigger. The setup feels great as I'm sure you can relate to. BTW, your cell phone pics look ten times better than my pics taken with a point and shoot camera.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congrats and good choices

·
Registered
303 Posts
You started this thread a bit less than 12 hours ago. I'm thinking way more than enough time has passed for you to realize you're not "done." It never ends. Thankfully :) Your gun is looking good.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Nice set of mods, and I'm glad you left the original grip safety in place. Nothing to me screams "kitchen-table gunsmith" more than a drop-in beavertail that doesn't even match the frame contour and has huge gaps around it.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Great looking Colt.

Does the naked right side make it a 2012?

I love bone grips. Please give details on them. Probably not Bison type
buffalo. Put a set of "buffalo bone" grips on a 1911 about 7 years ago. They look way better now;aged/mellowed nicely. Perfect alternative to ivory imho.

When I got Harrison retro rear sight all that was available was square notch.

Rat-tail grip safety+rowell/commander hammer=cool.

Well done,sir!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Well done! Very tasteful mods ... has that "just right" look.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I like it. Makes me want a combat commander. I have a colt talo lightweight 38 super commander but it doesnt have the story yours has.

Oh and tell us about those grips. I bought a set off ebay for a good price but they have since warped a little.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You may be a Renaissance man if.....

.....you photograph your pistol atop philosophical tomes.

:rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts