1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who's perused the Schuemann website will have seen the suggestion, if not outright recommendation, that we not clean our barrels. The more you shoot it, the cleaner and shinier it gets . . . Having had many two-day barrel cleaning sessions, I just couldn't figure out how anyone could get away with not cleaning their barrel. My M1911A1 had a failure to feed on Sunday, and I realized the last time it had been cleaned was after its last FTF, which was last October. I'm thinking at least 1500, and maybe 2000 rounds were shot over the Winter, so this would be a good test of Schuemann's theory. I ran a combination bronze/nylon brush through the bore, dry, maybe fifteen passes, and held the barrel up to the light. Not so much as a trace of residue. Not a speck. The vast majority of the rounds fired were Precision "black bullets" over N320. I don't know if it's the barrel or the bullets, but I might stop cleaning my barrel, too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Howdy Rick, thanks for the report. We've had some discussion here in the past on this theory/practice. I'm sure that Schuemann is a recognized authority relating to bores and rifling. But for autoloading pistols?

When I'm cleaning my barrel, my primary concern is still the chamber. The state of my bore probably won't cause a stoppage, a fouled chamber most definately could.

Here's the link to a previous thread http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000217.html

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I shoot 500 WW231/cast bullet reloads and do a normal cleaning. Spray the bore with CLP, run a brass brush through a half dozen times, and send a patch through. It comes out black. About 6 patches, every other one wet in CLP sent through and it is clean. I have never seen a clean bore after shooting.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rick

I used to shoot "black bullets" and I remember they didn't leave much in the barrel. Whatever they coat them with works well.

Ditto Havoc. My biggest problem with long round counts is a dirty chamber - feed and seating slows down - and when I'm cleaning the chamber, it's just as easy to go ahead and do the barrel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also noted Mr. Schuemann's remarks about barrel cleaning. It seems he is mostly concerned with the cleaning solvents staying in the metal where they will "keep working", eventually ruining the bore. If you subscribe to this theory, it still makes sense to me to swab the bore with CLP. That would avoid the solvents and metal bore brushes, but still get the powder residue out.
-Sparks

[This message has been edited by Sparks (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Although my experience is not great, I have to agree with the chamber needing cleaning. I shoot light target loads, and can have problems with rounds seating fully in the chamber after as few as 80 or 90 rounds. TiteGroup was especially bad, in that the burned powder formed a really sticky gunk. I've changed back to W231, which seems to leave less residue and of a flakier nature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts