1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself in some finacial problems, yea my daughter got married and I was busted. So I go out to sell some of my pistols to raise some cash and one of them was my Colt C.C.O. I had several nibbles for $650 but no takers thank GOD!. I went out and shot it today and I can't believe how good that pistol shoots. When you get down and desperate DON'T SELL IT! My finances have regrouped and my C.C.O. will not be leaving me. So before you post that add take a minute to think "do I really want to do this?" Sorry for the long post but if saves one gun from being sold it was worth it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Been there....done that. A few of my favorites I've actually bought twice because I sold them for one reason or another then later realized that I had made a mistake and bought the same model again.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Kitt...
I can't believe how long I looked for a CCO. The first one that I ran across I didn't buy and I could have kicked myself! It took me another 8 months before I found a NIB CCO. The CCO is a keeper!
Sam

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you really want to show your daughter love, give her one of your pistols that she can handle, and get your son-in-law involved, too! Get them into the sport and who knows, you might get something better for Father's Day than underwear, socks, and ties that say "Dad".

·
Registered
370 Posts
Rule #1 of gun owning --NEVER SELL YOUR GUNS
Rule #2 --when needing money see Rule #1

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Dan Wesson .357 that I have not shot
in 11 years. Probably will never shoot it
again. I still won't sell it. It seems
most people who sell any gun regret it
the next day.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not so sure about the NEVER aspect. Here's my list of sold guns that I haven't missed (too much):
Sold Sig 228 to get Glock 23
Sold the Glock 23 to move up as partial trade for a M14 rifle.
Sold a Browning bolt 30-06 to get a custom Ruger #1 in 25-06
Sold a Freedom Arms 97 for partial trade for a LC Smith 410
Traded LC Smith for Garbi 101 in 20 ga.
Sold a S&W revolver to help pay for AR rifle.

Note: 1911's do not apply to above -- they always seem to stay put

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
I only miss:

1. Bushmaster XM-15ES pre-ban. Most accurate rifle I have ever fired. Sold it to pay for a truck, which in turn blew its engine a year later! A year ago I got another pre-ban Bushy, but it's just not the same gun.

2. Colt LWT Commander. Traded it in for another gun. I'd rather have my Commander back now.

3. Poly-Tech AK-47 milled receiver. Sold it because I couldn't justify owning an AK. Now I see the light- I don't NEED no justification!

Now for guns I certainly DON'T miss:

1. Auto-Ordinance 1911A1 (jamamatic)
2. Ruger Mini-14 (inaccurate as hell)
3. Glock 26 (never fit my hand)
4. STS Series 80 Commander (also jammed)
5. Bright nickel-plated Series 70 (WHAT was I thinking???)
6. SIG P220 (okay, but didn't do anything a good Commander can't)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I currently have a bul m5 and a stainless .38 super at a local shop on consignment. Now you guys got me waffeling.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
My NIB series 80 enhanced Officers is one of two in my collection. Which I would'nt part with for under a grand. Maybe at twice its rising value $1300 and only if ridden on it at that. A NIB Colt which is no longer produced, is as great to a collector as a rare model. aka Redzone

·
Registered
183 Posts
The first handgun I ever bought was a Double Eagle, I sold it in 1999 about two months before Colt got into trouble for about $375. Now a Double Eagle can't be touched for under $700. It makes me cringe everytime I think about it
Moral of the story, keep your guns!

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Double Eagles are worth that much now?!?

How about All-Americans? The Colt collectors can keep 'em both, IMO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess $700 is more of an average going rate for Double Eagles. I have seen a couple for about $625. Kind of funny though, when I owned mine, I had a big accuracy problem with it so I went to every gun shop within 100 miles and tried to trade for a regular single action 1991 or commander. And EVERY dealer told me that the Double Eagle was a mistake of a gun and that the design was terrible. Most of them offered me between $225 and $300 for it. I respectfully told them where they could shove their offer. Now, I think they are desireable just because they are Colt brand and have been discontinued. I remember when I did finally trade it in to a dealer who was not trying to bend me over, he set $390 on it in his shop (this was about a month or two before Colt announced its troubles). The gun sat for about 5 months, and when I checked on it then, the price had magically risen to $649.
If only I would have known.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I emphasize DON'T DO IT! I've sold over 15 for financial reasons and looking back regrettably I could have made ends meet with other sacrifices...

As I'm here with only 3 now...

What makes it worse is when you trade or pawn a gun cause your'e getting rid of a gun and losing money to boot.

PATIENCE, MY SON Tom

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
The only time I get rid of one is to upgrade. That way I can look at what I now have and feel content. There have also been a couple rare instances where I bought a gun and later wondered what in tarnation did I buy that thing for. And of course the reverse has happened. While awaiting NICS I was wondering why I had suddenly shot $600 for an old Remington Rand, then later on it became one of my favorite pistols.

And then there are a couple I do have that I'd sell in a New York minute, if it wasn't for the fact that they're not worth much and I might as well keep them than make a meager sum.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
emmo.....
Know the feeling about the DE. Had a Combat Commander DE and let it go fo far too little. In general it was a well made gun, especially the Mark II / Series 90. The gun looked kinda funky but it worked. Even with the Colt name I'd pass on a Colt 2000. Ugly guns and they just didn't work as advertised.
Never, ever sell unless you're trading up.
SamColtFan

·
Registered
474 Posts
Black Pearl 45

I sure wish I had your rules with me a few years ago when I sold my Gold Cup. Luckily, I recently found a new one and bought it. Hope it is as good. If I ever get strapped for cash again, I will come to this site and review your rule again.
Thanks

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts