1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yeah I recently picked up a used Kimber Pro Carry II for $375.00 dollars from a kid who didn't quite know what he had.

Gun has some issues.. Failed to extract. Ok it's got the Kimber external extractor. Failed for me like 5 times out of 100 rounds.

I was all set to send it off to Kimber for what I guess amounts to a slide replacement and a polish job as I'm told they do by you guys here. Well I cleaned it, oiled it good and now its working so it seems.

I've gotten 160 or so rounds off, zero failures to extract.

Should I still send it in? Should I just keep it? This is my carry gun, this is the gun I use to protect my family. Is it common to actually have issues with FTE but get threw 160+ rounds ok then have issues?

I'll go back to carrying my GLOCK and send this in if there is a possible issue of more FTE's in the future.

The gun looks BRAND new. Hardly any wear and now its shooting great but I'm still paranoid a bit.

I guess part of my reluctance to send it off is I don't want to waste the funds to send it overnight express only to have someone at Kimber put 50 rounds threw it, say yep it works good and send it back a month from now then a month later I hit a streak of FTE's again.

Opinions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My test for a carry gun is 500 rounds without a problem. During the test the pistol should fire target rounds as well as the defensive round I will carry with. If it passes this test with only normal cleaning, I would say it is good to go. If not, send it back to Kimber. I have a Pro Carry II that just finished the test and ran like a charm with any round I fed it.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I gotta agree with GA1911. Shoot it some more. Keep it lubed and run some rounds through it.

It also gives you confidence in the gun.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
They have the question handled so I'll just say the obvious..... WHOA!! You got a steal of a deal!!

Just hope since it was a "kid that didn't know what he had..." it's not stolen. Sounds weird, but a great deal nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I'd send it back for a new slide while they're still offering the deal. It may not last.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They have the question handled so I'll just say the obvious..... WHOA!! You got a steal of a deal!!

Just hope since it was a "kid that didn't know what he had..." it's not stolen. Sounds weird, but a great deal nonetheless.
I took it in for the pistol safety inspection "registration" we have here and my state registered it to me without any issues so I would assume its not stolen.

I'd send it back for a new slide while they're still offering the deal. It may not last.
Someone else was just telling me about a Kimber II he had with the external extractor that didn't start to FTE until around 2500 rounds then FTE'ed about 5 out of 100 shots, then stopped doing it for a few hundred rounds, then did it again etc. Kimber replaced his slide.

I suppose if anything, at least they will go threw the pistol and tune it up a bit and replace anything that might be worn out. I hear they are good about that.

Guess I'll clean my ol GLOCK 17 and load her up with some Black Talons and ship out the Kimber on Monday.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took it in for the pistol safety inspection "registration" we have here and my state registered it to me without any issues so I would assume its not stolen.
Whooooaa! The state registered it to you? Registration of a gun? What is this all about? Do you mean to tell me that the state up north has some sort of gun registration? :confused:

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Try it with different types of ammo to see if it continues to work. The fact it failed you 5 out of 100 rounds when dirty is enough for me to want to send it back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd want 500+ flawless rounds before I would consider it protecting my family and I. Dont know how well this will go over here but accuracy, appearance and over all feel aside, a GLOCK is going to be hard to beat....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Whooooaa! The state registered it to you? Registration of a gun? What is this all about? Do you mean to tell me that the state up north has some sort of gun registration? :confused:
Well, they call it a "Safety Inspection", I call it bull**** but hey whatever. Gotta love Michigan.

Try it with different types of ammo to see if it continues to work. The fact it failed you 5 out of 100 rounds when dirty is enough for me to want to send it back.
On the way home from work, after I posted my last post, I stopped by a friends house and we got to talking guns. I showed him the Kimber as he hadn't seen it yet and we walked out back and shot some rounds from his new GLOCK 21 SF into a hill side and he shot the Kimber. 5, 8 round Wilson Combat 47D magazines, 3 FTE with whatever brand of .45 he used. Some Fiouchi something or another. Then I put a full magazine of Winchester Ranger SXT "Black Bullet" ammo threw I was carrying and it actually had 2 failed to feed and one failure to extract. I guess that was too good to last guys.

I'd want 500+ flawless rounds before I would consider it protecting my family and I. Dont know how well this will go over here but accuracy, appearance and over all feel aside, a GLOCK is going to be hard to beat....
Oh yes, I love my GLOCK 17. I bought it because I wanted a good reliable pistol with higher-cap magazines for ACTS shoots (www.actshooters.com) that had little to no recoil. My HK P2000 .40 caliber was only 12 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber and I found myself running short for pistol portions of some of the courses of fire. I've had my GLOCK for some time now, I've never and I'm not joking, cleaned it or oiled it. It's bone dry and it functions flawlessly. I'm actually trying to see how long til it ceases to fire being mis-treated and I've got a few thousand rounds threw it.

I just find the 1911 to be a much more comfortable gun then my GLOCK and come on, the 1911 is just a sexy beast in general. I mean such style, such grace lol. I mean you can put a HK 45, GLOCK 21 and a 1911 next to each other and even gun stupid people know a 1911 as a "45" when they see one. Yummy, yummy.

I would send it back and get a new slide...Who knows how long that offer will last.
Yeah yeah, I am. I just don't want to part with it for a month or more. I just don't feel complete not fondling it nightly. Hell, I sleep with it too. I guess I'll be sleeping with my GLOCK tonight though. I feel so dirty, almost like I'm cheating lol. :)

Just messing around, I really like 1911's though. Which I had kept my Kimber Warrior now. It worked flawlessly too.

Unfortunately, the only two guns I have carry holsters for are GLOCK's and 1911's.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Send the Kimber back and ask nicely for a regular slide with the internal extractor. You will likely not have it for a month or two, but you'll never be happy with it the way it is. I hope Kimber gave a broom to whoever designed their external extractor. Likely they were promoted.:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts