1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been searching off and on for a nice BHP and finally got one. I had plans to get it tuned up and possibly more. Be careful what you wish for because I bought a Mark I that's maybe too nice (possibly unfired?). Now I'm rethinking the external mods. Anyone else been in this boat? If so what did you do?

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
I have thought of getting one of those externally challenged surplus ones on the market now, and taking a small ball peen hammer and punch, dinging it up all over, sanding it down, and maybe applying some browning solution like they put on muzzleloaders. Then rubbing it down a bit with steel wool; in other words, totally distressing the exterior so that I could use it recklessly, and never worry about the finish. I'd keep the insides perfect as possible, as I would the sights, but WOW, never having to worry about a scratch or ding? That would be great. Yeah, a beat up gun with a Bar Sto barrel, and nice sights. I know what you mean about a pristine gun. Seems a shame to always worry, and keep it in a vault or drawer.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
As much as I congratulate you on your find, a type 73 with beer cans is still pretty common. I would mod into precisely what I wanted, especially the sights. That is just my view. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Grandaddy always said guns are like women. It's great fun to take the pretty ones out and they should always be well serviced and maintained.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good replies, thanks guys. Some comments were damn hilarious too. I know one of the last of the Mark Is isn't worth a ton. So I dont see this as a safe queen. But I can't bring myself to monkey with the outside. Even though I've got an air hammer at home and think I know how to stipple :rofl:

Depending on how she feeds I might get one of the pros do a reliability on her, maybe the trig, that's it. Plenty of surplus guns out there if I get the itch to start filing on the sear or dremmeling the hammer. :D

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Clyde,

What you have is a not a "MK I", but Type 73 "Sport" model. The pertinent features of the type 73 being the spur hammer and the extended fixed barrel bushing (sometimes called "Hog Nose").
The Adjustable sights further define it as a "Sport" model - the fixed sighted version at that time being the "Vigilante".

FN/Browning never made a "MK I" Hi Power. This is fallacy perpetuated by Wikipedia and a few other sources that plagiarize Wikipedia.

As for any modifications you may want, GO for it. The Hi Powers of your vintage are very nice but can be improved with professional modifications, especially in the area of sights and safeties.
A meaningful upgrade of your sights would require milling, but Novak and other companies can do that for you with no problems.

Give my best to Bonnie - or what's left of her :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting info Burgs. Thank you! Can you tell me the final year of production for the "Type 73 sport"? Hard to find this info on the interwebs.

I think I always buy used guns because i have an aversion to screw up something new or really pristine. LMAO Well I did buy a second gen glock new and never thought twice about it. :p

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I began my collecting career on Parallax Bill's Curio and Relic' Forums and was thus PROGRAMMED to never alter an original piece.

Thus, all I would ever do to a surplus or original HP would be things I could reverse. Since the only HP's I have are nice or original, I can't do anything!

I am considereing another Israeli HP but all I would do there is get a Mark III so I get doved tailed front and rear sights and install night sights. I might also have some trigger work done and put on Crimson Trace Laser grips.

I HAVE to have Israel markings though....just the kind of guy I am.

Seeing as I'm now in the mood for an Izzy (Israeli) BUT still saving up for a nice 1911 I'm very, very torn.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Interesting info Burgs. Thank you! Can you tell me the final year of production for the "Type 73 sport"? Hard to find this info on the interwebs.

I think I always buy used guns because i have an aversion to screw up something new or really pristine. LMAO Well I did buy a second gen glock new and never thought twice about it. :p
That would be 1973. Yours is a 245xx so after 76.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Clyde,

The basic "Sport" design, with 2 changes of adjustable sights in the interim ("Type B" and "Millett") continued until 1989, where it was replaced with an adjustable sighted version of the MKIII called the "Standard", although FN also still used the "Sport" designation in some it's paperwork.
The easiest way to identify the MKIII adjustable sighted version is the ambidextrous safety levers, dovetailed front sight, straight barrel feed ramp and the lack of the extended "hog nose" fixed barred bushing.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Only 20 shopping days...

I bet that if you got a forklift and moved all those Hi Powers out of Mr. Chuntaro's closets, she'd get you an iPad for Christmas.

They have 2 types of iPad now. They have a smaller one now called the Mini Pad, and a big one called the Maxi Pad...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My pistol was made in '81. So much for my thinking it was the last of the Mark Is. Doh! If you are saying the model ran from 1973 to '89 it's smack dab in the middle of the 73s. :)

Great info and thanks again.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
My pistol was made in '81. So much for my thinking it was the last of the Mark Is. Doh! If you are saying the model ran from 1973 to '89 it's smack dab in the middle of the 73s. :)

Great info and thanks again.
I got his identical twin 245PZ59xxx with the beer can adjustable sights. Currently I got the original wood grips on it. The only thing I ever do was removed the mag safety. Mine prefers the Remington 115 grain JHP or its Mexican cousin, Aguila 117 grain JHP.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
So, then pre M 90 FM would be a "Classico"? :scratch:

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
:)Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts