1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question, what is the concern with showing the serial number when posting photos of your pistol? I notice some people are careful to obscure the number, others not. What bad things can happen?

·
Registered
290 Posts
270winchester said:
It's like your credit card number, home address, telephone number, and to an extent, you SSN. Posting it may not necessarily mean trouble, but it's a privacy thing...
Ok, I as an LEO I can understand that because for everything else there are resources, free and through subpeona, that can provide your personal information, but what resource is there for gun manufacturers serial number.
You would have to go through ATF and that's quite difficult.
There is no natioonal registry on gun ownership.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, here's one worry I have, how easy is it to report a stolen gun? What kind of documentation do I need, would photos of the gun and a serial # be sufficient? This is the internet, and it's the below-average types that can see a pic and decide to screw someone's life up - for personal reasons, or just to be an @$$hole.

I don't know how doable it is, but I don't want to find out.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Icchan said:
Well, here's one worry I have, how easy is it to report a stolen gun? What kind of documentation do I need, would photos of the gun and a serial # be sufficient? This is the internet, and it's the below-average types that can see a pic and decide to screw someone's life up - for personal reasons, or just to be an @$$hole.

I don't know how doable it is, but I don't want to find out.
OK, if the brain is working right FFL's are required to keep 4473's for at least 20 years, if they close, the 4473's go to the ATF.

So, mutton head sees a serial number on the internet and then calls their friendly PD up and says their gun was stolen. Police ask mutton head where they bought the gun. If MH tells police a dealers name, they can search their records, if he says private sale, they can try to contact the alleged seller. IF some how it comes back to you, you tell the police the name of the FFL who sold you the gun and they can check the 4473's.

Any way you cut it, mutton head has at least filed a false report with the police, probably lied to investigators. Both are crimes. Remember, Martha Stewart got nailed for lying not inside trading.

If you live in a state like MD or NY that require more then a 4473 to buy a handgun there is a layer of state documentation that would make it tougher for old mutton head to try this fraud.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well that's a bit of a cheering up, I wasn't sure how much there was and what records could be used. Glad to know. I guess you're still at slight risk from a private seller who could do it no bill-of-sale, then turn & burn you with your word against his, but that's remedied with a little old fashioned common sense - GET A RECIEPT!

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
The title of this thread should be changed to "Primer Course in Bad Analogies"!!:) You think somebody's going to get your pistol's serial number and steal your identiy? run up a bunch of charges in your name? etc., etc.?

I'm not the kind of guy who posts my firearms inventory in my sig line. (I think that's REALLY silly.) However, I wouldn't hesitate to leave the serial number visable, if I posted a pic of one of my firearms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you REALLY know where your gun has been?

Unless you bought it brand new you probably have no idea where your gun came from. Was it used in the commission of a crime? Mabey reported stolen years ago? I have a friend who got a call from several States West of here because a gun which he bought brand new (registered to him) and then sold to an individual was used in a homicide.

I'm cool with all of my stuff since it was all bought brand new (mostly) but say someone takes a pic of thier gun and the serial number is on a "hot sheet" someplace - bye bye pistol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.