1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know we tend to turn up our noses at the wood grips that come on RIA's.
Since I don't know what the name of the wood is, we'll call it "Phillipine Mahogany".
With a little work, in this case about 30 minutes time in front of the TV, they can be made to look fairly decent.
Of course, it's like guacamole, you have to have decent avocados to begin with. But if you can see decent grain in your grips, go for it.
Started with 240 grit to remove the original stain, and what feels like a very light coat of polyurethane. Then on to 320, 400, and finally 1,000.
Two light coats of True-Oil gets you this.
Since my RIA 1911FS has a nice pair of maple grips, these will go on my Colt/Walther Gold Cup Trophy .22

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ria FS is brandsy new. Not a round yet. Have Match sights coming from RIA, really nice folks to work with.
Colt/Walther is showing the potential to be a tack driver, 170 rounds so far, and it will stay with my Ruger mark 1 heavy barrel target.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Wow, quite a difference. Thanks. BTW, I like the thick grips. They fill the palm of my hand, thin grips feel like I'm holding a grape stick instead of a 1911.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I see nothing wrong with them, other than it provide no grip

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back a few minutes ago and put another coat of Tru-oil on them. That makes three.
They look as good as other grips I spent serious money on.
Everyone talks about how thick these grips are, mine aren't any thicker than factory Colt grips I have. They feel really good on that .22.
OOhhh! I'll bet they will cut my groups in half!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts