1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an Ithaca that has 2 crossed cannon cartouches, I haven't seen this before and wondered if it is just an oddity or is there a reason why it would get struck twice. any ideas? Thank you

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You need a Clawson Collector's Guide. The crossed cannons and ordnance belt were the Ordnance Dept's acceptance stamp. You will find it on most M1911A1 pistols with the notable exception of US&S and some of the earlier made pieces. The stamp is on other weapons as well. In short, it's rather common.

Here's just one version of it, there are others:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the collectors guide

I must not have been clear, sorry. mine has the usual stamp in the usual place but it has another one just forward of the "normal one" so there are 2 crossed cannon stamps on this Ithaca. I was just wondering if having 2 stamps is common

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Is it a double stamp like one on top of the other or are they totally separate? It's not that uncommon to see a double strike as these were hand stamped. I've never seen two side by side, but I suppose it could happen. I'd like to see a picture of it. Those stamps are not hard to come by and the additional stamp could have been added later. In coin collecting oddities like that sometime add value to the coin, however, I've rarely seen that matter much in firearms.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are separate and not caused by a bounce. The "normal" one is close to the pin and the other is just behind the grip, both parallel with the slide. I'd post a pic but haven't learned how yet. They just look like normal stamps only 2 of them. I thought it was a little odd but haven't seen that many 1911's to know if it is common or if meant anything.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
That is the rare double inspected officers model that is usually nickel plated!
Actually it is probably the result of someone bored with their job of putting the little stamps on the pistol, and tried their hand at something different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

Yep, That's what it looks like. I'll take it to the platers later today, get her all chromed up to show off.:barf:
So it has no significance, Thanks for the info, I suspected it meant nothing but alot of you folks know more than I and thought I'd double check.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right for sure, I've been meaning to learn but just havn't taken the time, I will, really....:)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Hopefully there are a LOT of other variations! :)

These must be the punches they use on the inside to make raised marks on the outside...

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts