1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping for a sear spring for my Canadian P-13 (1993). I've read that the Para sear springs are a smidge longer than normal 1911 sear springs, however when I go to Brownell's or wherever, the sear spring they have listed for Para's is said to fit:

"P14.40, .40 S&W; P15.40, .40 S&W; P14.45/LTD, P16.40/LTD, P18.9 - Common Parts".

So no mention of the P-13. Is that because the P-13 uses a standard 1911 sear spring or because of a typo in the description or because the P-13 uses a different non-standard sear spring that is just not available?

If you know the answer, I'd also like to get the part number for the P-13 sear spring, if it is different than the P14.45 sear spring.

BTW, on another topic, the Surefire 1911 rail adapter fits the P-13 exactly. Just bought a 2nd hand one (new, very expensive). Nice way to get a Picatinny rail added on. It even matches the paint of my 1993 version.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A P14-45 has a full-size receiver and the sear spring will be too long. The P13 receiver is the same as a P12...the grip is shorter and they take a shorter sear spring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Glad I didn't order that then. Do you happen to know if the P13 takes a standard 1911 sear spring (Officer's?) or is it made just for the P13 and P12?

·
Registered
228 Posts
A Colt officer's sear spring is the same length as full size gov't 1911 which is .225 inches longer than what your P13 takes. If you can't find one, sear springs are cheap. As a last resort maybe you could try cutting one down with a dremmel cutoff wheel. You just won't have the small 90 degree bend at the top of the left leg. Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to chime in on whether not having that bend could affect function or safety (since that is the sear leg).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been in the process of machining p12 and 13 frame castings from Sarco and when I came to the spring for the p12 I had to cut down a standard sear spring and re-bend the tail on it by clamping in a vise and heating only the section to be bent. Then I ground the bent end so it did not project in to the magazine well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, reading between the lines, the P13 sear is particular to the P13 and P12, and apparently unavailable if people are manufacturing their own? I didn't see one at Brownell's. Sarko has a "Para Ordnance Sear Spring" for single action pistols (PAR47), but doesn't mention what it is compatible with:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/para-ordnance-sear-spring.aspx

If anyone knows a source for them, let me know, and thanks for those who replied.

·
Banned
725 Posts
I have a couple I ordered from Wolff Gunsprings I bought for spares for my P12-13 (P13 lower). Have not installed them yet , but Wolff lists them online as being the correct ones.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wolff has the recoil spring, magazine spring and hammer spring but they don't currently carry the sear spring.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The P13 and P12 frame heights were not the same. The capacity difference should be a clue. As I remember it, the P13 was sort of a double-stack CCO - Commander-length slide on an Officers ACP height frame.

I pulled up the old Para-Ord Pro Shop website via the Internet Archive. It looks like the P13 had its own sear spring (P0110101).

https://web.archive.org/web/20000229073112/http://www.paraord.com/p-sales.html

·
Banned
725 Posts
Wolff Gunsprings part #30201 . I took my p13 lower apart and tried it to make sure. Package says it fits 1911, commander,officer,...copies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like it's confirmed to work. I really appreciate you taking the time to try it out. I need some mag springs from Wolff as well, so it's good.
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts