1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hi-Power Practical 9mm made in 1994. It has the adjustable sights on it that were made by Millett, they are the original ones that came on the gun. They are black, the problem is that I can't see the black on black very well anymore, and want to switch them to white outline rear and red up front. The front sight is dovetailed into the slide itself. I need to know if I can just tap it out with a drift from left to right like any other dovetail front sight? If anybody here has changed theirs and could let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an option, but Millett sells the exact front sight I want in red bar listed for the Hi-Power, it's the same exact dovetail sight, and as long as the original isn't silver soldered, red locktited or something else, it should be an easy swap. I just don't want to grab a drift and hammer until I know for sure. I've swapped lots of dovetail sights before, just never on a Hi-Power, and this is one of my favorite carry guns and I don't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the FN MkIII version with fixed rear sights, and have used a punch to drift the sights. I am planning to get the Millett Series 100 adjustables in Orange Bar front and White Outline rear. I put the slide sideways in a machine vise with paper to protect the finish, and I put a punch in my drill press and use that to drift the sights. I tried moving the front dovetail sight this way and it came out easily from left to right, so mine is not staked or pinned. You can also use a hammer and punch to move them, but protect the finish with tape or paper, and put the punch on the main vertical portion of the front sight instead of the small dovetail portion. FYI the Millett front orange bar dovetail is Part #FB00020, and I am getting them from Midway. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts