1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a user on here, Cappi, made a comment that got me thinking that I SHOULD try my hand at fitting my sights to my gun. I took a brief measurement of the base of the rest dovetail and it measured .480" from front to back. Next I measured my sights dovetail base and it measured .50" from front to back. Is that going to be too much material to remove from the sight to get it in my dovetail? I read from Some pistol smith website that if the measurement is over .01" than maybe I got the wrong sight for the sight cut? Is that right? Anywho, I'd like to give this a shot, and figure out the files needed for the job. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
I'd like to give this a shot, and figure out the files needed for the job. Any ideas?

let me preface by saying, I'm a backyard wannabe armorer.
Don't know the right way or wrong way, just "my" way

you need a safe edge three side file.
You can buy a dovetail file from Brownells, or you can make your own as I did by grinding the cutting grooves smooth on one side.

your new sights are Novak cut, I presume .
sounds like the dovetail on your Tisas is "close" to Novak , so you work with you got..... Novak cut may be the only thing close enough

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me preface by saying, I'm a backyard wannabe armorer.
Don't know the right way or wrong way, just "my" way

you need a safe edge three side file.
You can buy a dovetail file from Brownells, or you can make your own as I did by grinding the cutting grooves smooth on one side.

your new sights are Novak cut, I presume .
sounds like the dovetail on your Tisas is "close" to Novak , so you work with you got..... Novak cut may be the only thing close enough

..L.T.A.
Hey, I'm a wannabe gunsmith, so it works. Yes, the sights are .500 x 65 novak cut. And I am hoping they are close. I'll be getting the file from Brownells to work on the sight. I'm assuming I just file the sight until it starts and I can tap it through the sight cut.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
I'm assuming I just file the sight until it starts and I can tap it through the sight cut.
yep, pretty much

if you're ordering from Brownells, order some nylon punches too
(3 for 5 bukz, I think)
They'll take some heavy blows without fear of marring the new sights

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, pretty much

if you're ordering from Brownells, order some nylon punches too
(3 for 5 bukz, I think)
They'll take some heavy blows without fear of marring the new sights

..L.T.A.
Brownells has two 65 degree files, a medium and fine, which one should I go with?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts