1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First,im new to the board and glad to be here.Im looking for a 1911.Buying for collection.Maybe taken to the range on occasion.If any carrying is done with this 1911 it will be OWB during the cold seaon,so i guess not much difference in carry between full size and bobtail when OWB?Generally want a full size,maybe a BobTail?Not sure the acurracy is a big reduction with a 4inch barell versus 5 inch(HELP THERE).I here nothing but good about both brands.The SA have lifetime warranty and the "Match Goodies."Plus i really like guns with front checkering.Strong opinions ,along with looks for the DW.So these are the models and brands im considering
Which brand? Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson
Model? SA Trophy Match,SA TRP St/St, or DW Pointman Seven 45ACP?
Size?(If Dan Wesson Bobtail or PM7)?
Will accuracy differ that much between the 2 Dan Wesson?

Thnx for the help in advance.
As i want SA,DW owners along with the 1911 gurus.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Drummer, you lost me a little with your post, but I'll give it a try.

The SA trophy Match & the Tpr - both good pistols, as are the DW's.

But then you throw in the Wilson word? Definitley a "high end" pistol with a great warranty & good service.

You're not comparing apples to apples here.

If $ is no issue - go with Wilson.

Fschcop

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Im looking for a 1911.Buying for collection.Maybe taken to the range on occasion.
If you are buying for minimal usage, mostly as a safe queen with intent to resell in the future at an appreciated price, save up your money and get a Wilson, Ed Brown, Fusion or talk to a gunsmith and have a full blown custom made up.

If any carrying is done with this 1911 it will be OWB during the cold seaon,so i guess not much difference in carry between full size and bobtail when OWB?Generally want a full size,maybe a BobTail?Not sure the acurracy is a big reduction with a 4inch barell versus 5 inch(HELP THERE).
Bobtail means the shape of the rear corner of the grip, where the mainspring housing goes, instead of a hard corner, it's clipped.
Full size means "Government sized, a 5 inch barrel as God told JMB to make the 1911". You could have a bobtail mainspring housing fit to a Government sized gun and the grip trimmed to match the housing.
Accuracy, unless you are shooting the gun strictly from a rest, is more dependent on you than on the length of the barrel. The main thing length gives you is a longer sight radius, which makes it easier for you to aim (think rifle vs pistol). Unless you are already a Bullseye shooter, routinely grouping 1 inch at 50 yards, either size (Commander or Government) will likely be more accurate than you.
For DWs, "Bobtail" typically refers to the CBOB, a Commander sized 1911. It has a 4.25 inch barrel, not a 4 inch barrel. Assuming a good holster (IWB or OWB), the concern would be weight. 5 ounce weight difference between the two assuming the same amount of ammunition.

I here nothing but good about both brands.The SA have lifetime warranty and the "Match Goodies."Plus i really like guns with front checkering.Strong opinions ,along with looks for the DW.obably would go Bill Wilson Combat,since they are probably the "Holy Grail of 1911s".So these are the models and brands im considering
Which brand? Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson
Model? SA Trophy Match,SA TRP St/St, or DW Pointman Seven 45ACP?
Size?(If Dan Wesson Bobtail or PM7)?
Will accuracy differ that much between the 2 Dan Wesson?

Thnx for the help in advance.
As i want SA,DW owners along with the 1911 gurus.
I do not own nor ever owned a SA, so have no input on that.

I have a DW PM7 in 45, going on about a year now. I have had nothing but fun with it. About 750 rounds through it, have tweaked springs, FPS and put an arched MSH in it (all to make it fit me better) but have done nothing else besides lube, shoot, clean, lube, shoot, clean. For me, this gun has been 100% since day 2 (day 1 I had a few "failure to's" that were because of me, not the gun). I have not shot a CBOB, but based on others reports here, I guarantee you that in my hands, the accuracy would be identical, as I am not even close to the inherent accuracy of the gun.

Above is just my opinion, based on my own experience and reading, and what I think you are trying to ask.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
+1 to Mer's comments. I have both the CBOB and PM7 and both shoot incredible groups out to 25 yds. I've not tried them at greater distance. They are both more accurate than me. I've also lubed them well and never had any "FT's". Both guns have around 1100 rounds through them so far. I don't have any experience with the other guns you listed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think a DW CBOB is the best bang for the buck of those you listed, and has the most eye appeal also for a collection, excluding a Wilson at over 2x the price.

Having shot 1911's for many years, I find no difference in the practical accuracy of a full-size versus a commander-sized pistol. A CBOB can outshoot 99% of all shooters (and most Wilson owners) and is more than adequate for typical 15 yard indoor range shooting. It's a verstaile pistol being well suited for both range and self-defense. Mine has been 100% reliable.

That said, for very precise target work at longer ranges I'd take a full-size with adjustable sights I can tailor to my load.

Good luck with whatever you decide, all your choices are good. Nothing wrong with high-dollar safe queens if you go that route to...heck I think I have a 1902 Luger Carbine hiding in my safe somewhere.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Does the PM7 45ACP have a bull barrel? Does this make a difference and how?

I dont understand that the descriptions say 20LPI checkering on the front strap and looks like its only checkered on the backstrap.Any idea?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Does the PM7 45ACP have a bull barrel? Does this make a difference and how?
No, the PM7 has a standard barrel and bushing setup. The PM7 in 45 is make the way Browning designed it with the exception of a full length guide rod, adjustable rear sight and it made from stainless steel.
Bull barrels are designed to not use a bushing, they "lock" directly to the slide. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, except there's one less part in the gun and there's a little more weight at the muzzle. I haven't shot anything with a bull barrel so that's all I can tell you.

I dont understand that the descriptions say 20LPI checkering on the front strap and looks like its only checkered on the backstrap.Any idea?
If you are referring to descriptions and pictures on the web, there may be a disconnect: new description, old pictures because pictures take time to do right, they may not show everything, most people reading the description understand what it says.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts