1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This may be a really dumb question.

I would like to add a Novak Picatinny rail to my RIA 1911 .45. I know that it comes with instructions and screws for drilling and tapping. I am pretty handy, though do not have a workshop (I live on a boat). A good friend is advising me not to do this, that if I screw it up, I will ruin the gun.

SO....the question. Since modern adhesives have the strength and durability that we expect of fasteners, could I simply use an adhesive??

The gun has a parkerized finish. Is there a metal adhesive that would stand up to the shock and vibration? JB Weld?

Has anyone used an adhesive to do this?

Or...is this a really bad idea?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It'd work...for about two shots.

Seriously, pay someone who knows what they are doing to mount it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is about what I thought.

I went to the nearest three 'smiths. None were interested and all were too busy and too pricey.

I will just do it myself.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Let me save you some headache! I attempted this on my Kimber TLE last year and ended up with a frame with three crooked holes in it and still no rail! JB Weld didn't even hold for two shots! It fell right off after the first one!!! Send it to Novak and let them install it correctly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Black max

You may want to try Loctite's Black Max. I've used it on various 'smithing projects without fail but never for what you want to do. I think it would hold just fine and costs $7.00 for a small tube.

Good Luck,
Ben

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ben

Thank you very much. This gave me something to research. There were several postings online regarding using Black Max for guns. A couple recommended Loctite 620 as a better, even stronger adhesive.

I will give this more thought and see. What I am trying to avoid is putting any holes in the gun. If it holds, great. If it holds long enough for me to try a laser on the RIA, great. After that, I can then make up my mind as to whether or not this is really worth putting on the gun.

A good friend is still recommending that I do not modify the gun for two reasons. First, any modification will lower the value of the gun. Secondly, he thinks a 1911 should simply not be "tricked out." I share some of these feelings and so am thinking about a Ruger 22/45 as my target gun and test bed platform for lasers and optics.

Still thinking about it.

Thanks

J

·
Registered
132 Posts
My advice is to just bite the bullet and start drilling. I recently got up the courage to drill and tap my shotgun's barrel band for sling swivels, and it worked out great.

Like my Mossberg, your RIA isn't a collector's item, so even if you totally hose it (which you shouldn't, if you're careful) you'll still have a gun that shoots just fine. Use a drill press and take your time. If you're anything like me, you'll appreciate the self-respect you gain from doing it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts