1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield pistol that I sent back to the factory because the rear sight was too low. Springfield replaced the sight (Novak fixed sight) and sent the pistol back to me. After a while, the sight came loose so I reset the sight and tightened down the set screw. In the process of doing that, I stripped the head of the set screw. It was nice and tight, so I didn't worry about it.

Well after about 500 more rounds the rear sight came loose again. The screw hadn't moved any as far as I can tell... so I don't know how the rear sight got loose.

So I need to fix this once and for all - I guess after I remove that set screw I'll get a new one with a pointy end and make a divot so it locks it more into place when I get the sight set up right. I'm still not sure how I'm going to remove the set screw without messing up the sight position in order to create that divot though... any suggestions?

How insane would be be to go to an extreme - such as putting a dot of JB weld on each side of the rear sight once I got the sight set up right? Is there any reason I SHOULD NOT do this? I really can't have this sight moving around like it does. I'm tired of it coming loose - and I'm not sure what else to do, assuming that the set screw is not coming loose.

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magilla gorilla said:
Get a new set screw and use red lok-tite on the threads. Tighten the set screw, but not to the point where it strips again, and you should be good to go.
Yeah I don't want to be stripping the set screw again...

But if that rear sight came loose without the screw itself loosening up, I'm not sure how re-tightening and red loktite guarantees me a solution?

I guess I'm worried about a poorly cut dovetail here. When moving the sight back and forth, it is very tight if I push it far to the right or left but VERY loose (no effort at all required) when moving it around the middle of the dovetail.

· Registered
3,900 Posts
magilla gorilla said:
Get a new set screw and use red lok-tite on the threads. Tighten the set screw, but not to the point where it strips again, and you should be good to go.

+1 Red loctite #271 works every time

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6285108 said:
+1 Red loctite #271 works every time
For loose set screws, yeah, I agree...

But what if the problem isn't with the screw? :(

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Get some brake cleaner and blast around the dovetail to dry up any oil and blow it out with air. Get some of the green wicking locktite and let it flow into the dovetail. The green is made to wick into a part that is already assembled. The green isn't permanent but will keep the sight in place. I would still get the messed up set screw out. The blue locktite on the screw should be plenty strong with the green wicked into the dovetail. If you ever need to move it, a little hot air from a heat gun will free it easily.

· Registered
266 Posts
Green Loctite Warning

The green wicking Loctite (290) is VERY close to permanent! It will only be released with harsh solvents or considerable heat. Where I work, we use it to keep fasteners on packaging machines from falling off and getting into your food. In the case of smaller fasteners, it will pull the threads before releasing. We use it but count on usually twisting off any bolts treated with it under 5/16". Fair warning. It absolutely will hold the screw in and it will bond the sight to the frame, so you had best make sure the pistol is properly sighted in before application. It is not a bad thing that it holds this well, but be aware that it is most likely there for good.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
I have just used the Permatex brand green penetrating liquid and have had no trouble getting it loose. Their web site recommends it for use on carburetor adjustments screws and screws from #2 to 1/2". They do specify that it's applied AFTER assembly. Maybe it's harder to break if you put it on before assembly. I have used it on dovetail sights and weeks later tapped them out.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
For loose set screws, yeah, I agree...

But what if the problem isn't with the screw? :(
Xori, Ed Brown makes his rear cuts lose so that when you get one of his guns you can drift the sight with your finger and then lock it in with the red lok-tite he sends with the gun. If you can drift the sight with your finger but still hold it tight with lok-tite you should be fine.

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
magilla gorilla said:
Xori, Ed Brown makes his rear cuts lose so that when you get one of his guns you can drift the sight with your finger and then lock it in with the red lok-tite he sends with the gun. If you can drift the sight with your finger but still hold it tight with lok-tite you should be fine.
Great... I'm getting that screw out and I'll follow up with a new screw, better quality hex wrench, and some red lok-tite.

Thanks for your help!

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I think Wayne Novak has some sights that the dovetail is slightly oversize.
this would cure the problem by using the fit of the dovetail to do holding and the set screw as a seconday hold not the primary.

the set screw pushing the sight up is not the best design going.

geo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.