1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what a decent time is for a draw and one GOOD hit from an IDPA approved holster with the trigger pad behind center line of hip (per IDPA rules). and by good I mean an "A" zone it by some you master class shooters out there. Oh yeah, and it has to be from concealment (jacket, vest, etc..)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
At the 2001 IDPA Southern Regional, we set up a stage to find out just what you are asking. CoF was to draw and fire at a dropping steel target till it fell. It had a 8" round steel plate and a 6x6 square plate at regulation positions(same as the paper target). Target was set at approx. 15 yds.

The fastest that day was in about 1.10 seconds. This is with concealment under match conditions. During the match I did it in 1.8 sec. (remember cannot miss fast enough to win
) After the match, playing around, I did it in 1.24 sec. Robbie Robinson, he is a master class shooter, was doing it under 1 sec after the match.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
366 Posts
One limited master class (USPSA) shooter told me his fastest draw & place one shot on the target at 7 yards was .70 second. This was a limited-10 (or CDP) single-stack .45 ACP using a straight-drop kydex Blade-Tech. Don't know what his average was. 1.30 - 1.40 is my fastest range at 7 yards using concealment.

·
Registered
411 Posts
In practice, I can draw from a IDPA approved holster, no concealment, and hit a 10" plate at 15 yards in 1.30-1.35 sec fairly consistantly. However in a match, it ends up around 1.6 sec. Match draws are generally slower because you don't get to practice over and over again, and you are focusing on the rest of the stage also.

So a decent draw will depend on the distance, and under match or practice conditions. The average draw at the Steel Challenge is around 1.1-1.2 sec., with a low of 0.8 sec on Smoke & Hope, high of 1.3 on Outer Limits.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Richard, Gary and I did a bunch of 1 shot draws the other week at the South River Gun club. I was shoot a Glock 36 from one of my paddle holsters. We were not wearing concealment. I was in the .7s with an occassionaL draw at .65. I am a master class IDPA shooter and I wear my pistols about 3" behind my centerline. BTW this was the first time I had ever drawn the Glock 36 from a holster.

Were were using a electronic timer to start.

Mike

------------------
Mike Benedict
Custom Kydex Holsters

Talon Tactical Holsters

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
I couldn't keep up with Mike in the Man-on-Man 1 shot draws. I was also using one of Mike's paddle holster worn behind the hip and a G19. He was always 0.1 second faster than me. My best time was 0.79, unfortunately that was when his time was 0.65. BTW, I'm just a Sharpshooter Gamer in IDPA and not a Master Voodoo Stealth Ninja. We were using IDPA targets, the distance was about 10 feet. Why just 10 feet, well we think that's probably the distance of most encounters.
Our colleague Mr. Headhunter can do 1 second draws on demand, he's a Master in SSP and Expert in SSR/ESP/CDP.

[This message has been edited by Ricky T (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Out of 16 draws today my best time from 7yds was 1.20 worst was 1.44. From 10ft
8 draws my best was .99 worst was 1.07.I wish I could do that at every match.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts