1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my most practical forms of summertime carry is shorts, an A-shirt (my wife calls them "wife beaters"), and just an untucked golf shirt slightly larger than normal. My Kimber compact in an IWB can be worn all day long comfortably this way.

Question is, do you draw by just snaking your strong hand under your shirt and grabbing your pistol?

Or do you use your weak hand to lift your shirt and then draw?

I can do it the first way but sometimes end up grabbing a handful of shirt.

What's the fastest way?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have shot a few IDPA matches using the same clothing. I usually start my weak hand low and run it up the front of my body with my thumb extended to catch the shirt as I also come up with my strong hand thumb under the shirt and lift. Both hands reach the pistol at the same time and I get my grip and draw. I have been able to do this many time with a buzzer to first shot time of 1.9 seconds plus or minus a bit. A bit of practice with an empty weapon in front of a mirror helps build a memory for the draw and helps refine your tecnique.

·
Registered
230 Posts
just starting

My rig has my .45 half way between my side and my rear(4:00),ive only practiced a few times,but being the large person i am,i cant reach the weapon with my left hand,so i have the most success(allthough it isnt fast enough for me yet) by lifting the shirt with right hand,then holding/lifting more with lefthand,as i retrieve weapon with right.It works everytime,but i need lots more practice.Do any of you use this method,or is there a better way,if you "cant" reach it with your left hand? Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
draw

All of my button up shirts that I wear untucked have either all or all but the last two buttons sewed to the front and small sew in snaps installed behind them.

Do draw, you just "tear away" the shirt to access your weapon, in my case it also exposes the badge and helps in accessing the other equipment on the belt (mags, cuffs, etc)

If you carry heavy items in your shirt pocket, keep the top two buttons (that you actually button) regular, it still provides lots of access after tear away, but also wont let the weight of the items in the pocket, pull the snaps open. I will try to post some pics as soon as i get a chance

In retrospect it also seems this method could be used on dress shirts if you were to pack your piece crossdraw under the shirt (unsnap the buttons under the tie and access the weapon), just a thought.

·
Premium Member
20,290 Posts
With an untucked pullover shirt I extend my shooting thumb firmly and rake it, along with the shirt tail, up and past my pistol. Then I slide my hand down over the weapon, this keeps the shirt away from the gun.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AZ, are you coming up in front of pistol or behind it?

If I come up in front I tend to get a handful of shirt, but behind is not quite as smooth a motion.

·
Premium Member
20,290 Posts
I rake right over the top of the grip. I push fairly hard with my stiff thumb, it's kinda hooked upwards. Keep lifting until the shirt is well past the grips, then quickly drop your hand down around the gun. If your off hand is free, you can hold the shirt above for the draw also, but it's not necessary. When I draw this way in realistic practice, I often scratch my side with my thumbnail.

·
Registered
674 Posts
stickshooter, this is my summertime carry method as well.

I grab the shirt with both hands. Weak hand is in front of holster, strong hand is below the grip of gun, both are holding onto the shirt. I yank the shirt up and away from the gun with both hands. As the shirt gets high enough to clear the gun, strong hand drops off and grips the gun while weak hand continues to raise shirt.

When the gun clears leather and I begin to push forward towards the target the weak hand lets go of the shirt and meets the strong hand in a high retention hold.

When drawing spare mag, I hook the shirt with the thumb and lift high enough to get good grip on the mag. Back of the hand keeps mag from catching on the shirt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts