1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beginnings of a new beavertail. OK, a belt sander, a vice, a dowel, some sandpaper, and a frame jig helped too. I got bored waiting on the turkey so I thought I'd work a little more on my latest project, a Wiley Clapp gov't model. It's not at the Bob/Chuck/Jeremy standard yet, but it's just roughed in at the moment. Wife said the bird was done so I had to come in and quit playing. More later.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I like it when it doesn't have the ice cream scoop look. Nice work!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use a belt sander or a grinding wheel that is made of a coarser cratex type material to rough it out and do the final blend with paper.
Thanks for the reply. I understand the tools but what process do you use to get that shape, it seems most grip safety's do not have enough material to get that kind of shape.

ETA. There almost seems to be a new trend or style and it could be called the bob/chuck/jermey non ice cream scoop fit or the RYO beaver tail mod.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I understand the tools but what process do you use to get that shape, it seems most grip safety's do not have enough material to get that kind of shape.

ETA. There almost seems to be a new trend or style and it could be called the bob/chuck/jermey non ice cream scoop fit or the RYO beaver tail mod.
I don't know what else to say. Grind the profile you want and sand it so it blends better. There is usually enough material to work with.

I like using the abrasive wheel on a bench grinder over the belt sander because the wheel takes off less material so I have more control.

Someday I hope to get to the level of fit that Bob, Chuck and Jeremy can do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts