1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave my Hi Power to a local smith to get some trigger work and to get the gold trigger taken out. He calls me tonight to let me know if it is ok to drill another hole in my slide as part of replacing my trigger. At least I think that is the part of the process that he said required a new hole. So someone please tell me if this sounds right? I am a little hesitant to give him the go ahead without a second opinion. I have never heard of having to do this, but I don't pretend to know much about gunsmithing.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. Unless he's installing a trigger stop, there is no need to drill another hole in the frame to remove the trigger. The only reason I can think of to drill a hole in the slide would be for one of the C&S sear levers that pivots differently from the standard FN sear lever.

All that's required is to remove the pin that the trigger rotates on. This can be a little slice of hell as they're tight, but when removed, the trigger and lifter assembly slide out and forward into the trigger guard area and are removed.

He needs to drive the pin FROM the "pointed" side.

Best.

·
Banned
975 Posts
i agree 100% with mr. camp. there is absolutely, positively no reason in the world to drill a hole in the slide. good hi power smith's can even manage a pretty respectable trigger pull without resorting to the C&S trigger lever. i would be very hesitant about letting someone drill a hole in the slide unless you are 100% positive about what he is doing.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Both Steve and Lefty are right on track. The only reason to drill the hole would be to install the C&S sear lever, and you can get a fine trigger pull without it.

But if you specifically want the lightest trigger pull possible on a Hi Power, I understand the C&S lever is a great addition to get you there.

But I personally don't like the extra hole in the slide. YMMV

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Putting a C&S improved sear lever in is the ONLY thing that he might accomplish by doing that...

Here's something that I would be considering, though...

If the guy didn't tell you that he would have to drill another hole in the slide at the start, chances are that he just decided to use the C&S lever because he had heard about it and wanted to try it FOR THE FIRST TIME on YOUR gun. Installation isn't really a big deal but it is if you don't know what you're doing. If he just got the part and took out the directions and then figured that he needed to call you, I think that I would pass on letting him do it.

Just my opinion, but I don't want someone installing a C&S sear lever unless they've done it (successfully) before.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I dont think I am too comfortable with the idea of a new hole in my slide. I dont know why , but it just doesnt sit well with me. I think I will tell him that I will pass on that for now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the smith and there will be no new hole in my slide. Thanks for the advice everyone. It was dead on accurate. It is nice to have such knowledgeable people a click away.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to update. I finally got the gun back and from what I can tell without shooting it yet, I think he did a good job. He replaced the gold trigger and the trigger feel and pull are much improved.

I do have a question however, when I talked with him about getting some smithing done I asked if he would remove the mag saftey and he said he wouldn't because of liability issues. Well whatever he did caused him to have to remove the mag saftey and also the mags now completely ejects. So does this sound normal? I am happy about both of those changes, but am a little puzzled since it wasn't clear that either of these two things would happen.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If the mag disconnect is gone, then the mags are going to fully eject, so that's not a problem.

If he said that he wouldn't remove the mag disconnect but did and also had replaced the trigger, then he either (1) replaced the trigger with a C&S unit that has no provision for a mag disconnect or (2) just didn't bother to put the mag disconnect into the new trigger that he installed.

E-mail me at [email protected] and we'll talk some more about it without taking up forum space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts