1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if thix has already been discussed but, how many agencies allow their regular patrol officers wear a drop holster? Im not talking about the low low holster but like safarilands single leg strap version where it sits a little bit lower than a low ride holster.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The only situation where I would like a drop leg holster would be if I was wearing my back pack. A shoulder holster or belt holster isn't comfortable nor is it tactical.

I don't have one though...I don't back pack often. And my pack also has a shoulder strap so I use that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Drop leg holsters were designed for people who's armor don't allow for a clear draw of their sidearm. Most of the guys (and gals) at my agency just think they look cool as they are only allowed for "special units". Ever try sprinting with one on? It kind of sucks....Like some guy says....mission drives the gear train.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Holster

I agree with the special unit comments. However, there is one other use. Recently I tore my Rotator Cuff twice within a year at work. With rehab came neck pains. When I came back the second time, I was having a time with a smooth draw from my duty holster.

I started wearing the thigh holster and I begin to get relief from Cuff/Neck and back pains that I was having during the time. I guess getting some of the weight ontot a major muscle group helped.

I wore it for about 3 months until I got healthy enough to go back to standard duty holster. It does bang on the console and rides up sometimes but for those 3 months I was happy to have it.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I wear one sometimes in the dead of winter. Gets pretty cold up here...
Armor + lined winter jacket, makes it quite uncomfortable to find my sidearm under everything.

As mentioned, running sucks with them. I'm too old to run anyway though, so it's all good. ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
In addition to the above comments about drop legs and running, they are also harder to defend in the case of a gun grab. They can rotate around the leg and twist, making it harder to retain possession.

Generally, I would only use one if my armor prevented access to my sidearm, and then I would use the least drop required to clear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You are talking about the flex-adapter. We are aproving them in our agency. I have a "short torso'ed" weight lifting guy who benefits from it. It has helped some of the gals with "hips" get over some draw issues. The SWAT guys are going to be allowed to wear it, as it will be closer to their SWAT holster. This is not a real DROP holster, it is a bit lower that a drop-shank adapter. No issues running with this one. But the performance increase you get my allowing for the indivitualization of gear can be amazing.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Close up of my Drop Flex Adaptor from Safariland. I can run with it no problem. I like this much better then their true drop holster set up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I really like you Flex adapter. My question is I am having issues finding it for a holster other than the 6004. I am looking for one for a 6285. I have checked copquest, LA police gear and a random google search with no luck. Do you know if they make it for any other holster and if they do where at.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
I really like you Flex adapter. My question is I am having issues finding it for a holster other than the 6004. I am looking for one for a 6285. I have checked copquest, LA police gear and a random google search with no luck. Do you know if they make it for any other holster and if they do where at.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob
If you already have the 6285 holster and it's mounted to their universal belt loop you should be able to buy the drop flex adaptor with the leg shroud and then remove your holster from it's belt loop and mount it on the leg shroud. The part number for the drop flex adaptor with leg shroud no holster attached is 6004-25-2. The mounting screw holes on the holster should line up with the mounting holes on the leg shroud. I would call Safariland directly and talk to them about it just to make sure.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had originally had a low ride, but I changed it out to a standard height holster. It was comfort that drove me to switch over. I ditched the mount on the 6285 and got an older style I think. That mount is a little flatter to the belt, wrapped in leather and has set screws to hold the holster in place on the belt. It does a good job of that and is way more comfortable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts