1911Forum banner

Drop-in beavertail for Series 80 LW Commander

971 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  BOLANTEJ
Gentlemen-

A little help please. I would rather not have the frame modified on a newly purchased Series *0 LW Cmdr., but I do want to change grip safeties. Does anyone make a drop-in part.

Thanks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Wilson Combat makes a drop in safety that fits current production Colts fairly well. This is a photo of my M1991A1 with the drop-in beavertail safety installed. The picture isn't very good, but you can get the idea.

www.wilsoncombat.com
Kings Gun Works out of Kali also makes two types of drop-in beavertails, one for standard spur hammers and the other for Commander hammers. I haven't seen them in person, but Kings has a good reputation for their parts.

All three of these safeties are available through Brownells.

Tom
See less See more
No Beavertail is truly "Drop-In", but the Wilson's is close.

I will try to post a pic of mine on a LWT Enhanced.

I did have to clearance a little on the safety, rather than cut the frame (my choice as well), and of course, the tang needs to be fitted so that it clears the trigger bow properly.

You can get the Wilson with, or without the Bump also...

Good Luck!
You might notice in Tachyon's pic, the safety is cut straight at the back of the frame, and doesn't fit well.

I had relieved mine with a round sanding drum to make a radius to blend it a bit better... Remember, I am just a "Pistol Hack", not a pro... I just didn't want to commit myself and cut the frame ~ yet...

Here's a couple pics...

See less See more
JayDee is right that the beavertail is cut straight, but then I've got the safety installed on a Government length M1991A1 with standard safety tangs. It looks like JayDee's safety is installed on a pistol that has been radiused for a non GI type grip safety. This points out something that you should know up front. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). It seems that there are almost no pistols made strictly to GI spec, and as such, it's very hard to find drop in parts that don't require some type of accomodation. Either with a grinder, as JayDee did, or in the mind, as I have.

Here is a picture of the same pistol from the rear, below the level of the slide. From here, it doesn't look so bad... But it's still not the custom installation that I would like.

Also, I'm not a pistolsmith of any discription. I'm a mechanically competant hobbyist. I can handle assembly and disassembly, but machining or modifications to the frame are best left to the pros in my book.

Good luck!
See less See more
Originally posted by Tachyon:
JayDee is right that the beavertail is cut straight, but then I've got the safety installed on a Government length M1991A1 with standard safety tangs. It looks like JayDee's safety is installed on a pistol that has been radiused for a non GI type grip safety. This points out something that you should know up front. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). It seems that there are almost no pistols made strictly to GI spec, and as such, it's very hard to find drop in parts that don't require some type of accomodation. Either with a grinder, as JayDee did, or in the mind, as I have.
Yup... Mine is an unmodified Enhanced LWT, and Colt probably did alter the radius slightly. As Tachyon pointed out, there really is nothing that is truly "Drop-In" but the drop in parts are close in most instances. Definately, YMW(ill)V

For me, I just wanted to get rid of the stock low-ride part that Colt shipped, and preferred to wait on modifying the frame until it finally gets in the hands of a Pro, but parting with any of my babies for even a few days is hard

Enjoy!
See less See more
Thank you, Gentlemen. That as the exact info I needed.

------------------
"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
My question would be why do you want to replace it? My first thought about my lightweight commander was that the grip safety HAD to go cause it had a sharp edge that was wearing my hand. Since I was thinking of replacing it any way I thought to take a fine file to it and now I'm not going to replace it. I've left the filed area unfinished for a while just to make sure I've got it right but now I'm thinking of a little polish and cold blue to finish it. Give it some thought.

Tony G.
hi everyone...how do you remove/replace them anyway? if i decided to change/file my lwt cmdr's gs, i'd be lost lost lost. please give me a detailed description on what to do. thanks a bunch.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.