1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a mil-spec Springfield or a Colt 1991A1 and would like to install a beavertail grip safety, commander-style hammer, and a few other goodies. I was browsing through Brownell's and noticed "Drop-in" beavertail grip safeties from Wilson and Kings. Are these any good? If so, why would you want to modify your frame and install any other type? Do these feel the same in the hand and work as well as other types?

On the other hand, am I better off buying a "Loaded" Springfield and making the modifications I want to that pistol? After all, it already comes with a beavertail and commander-style hammer. Are the quality of parts used on the "loaded" models as good as those used on the mil-spec?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Personally I think you will be better off with a Colt 1991a1 and doing the add on's, you will have a better gun in the long run.

·
Registered
285 Posts
the drop ins from wilsons are really good looking units , only slight fitting to the trigger bow contact pad is needed on some 1991s , they dont work on springfeilds though that i tried them on. its hard to tell them from a custom unit in terms of feel and they look almost as good.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Nothing is completely "Drop-In"...

JAF0216 has it right, the Wilson part comes oversize in the entension... A bit of fitting is needed...

Also, depending on the frames radius at the grip safety pin, you may need to do some work to get the safety to fit...

Another consideration... Any "Ultra High" ride style will move the radius of the frame up... A necessitate some removal of material, and refinishing...

I'd pick the part out that you prefer (bump, no bump... High hold, etc...) and go through the motions to have it fitted right... Whether you invest in a jig and do it yourself, or have it done, a clean fitting grip safety adds to the appearance... A lousy fitting part makes a nice, or average pistol look MUCH worse...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
384 Posts
ontarget, follow this link to read my experience with a King's drop-in beavertail grip safety.
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000005.html

By the way, I was pleased with the appearance and safety-to-frame fit of the King's part, once I got it to function properly.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts