1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put a beavertail grip safety on my mil-spec, and if possible I'd like to use a drop-in. Does anyone other than Kings make on for this pistol? Anyone have any opinion on the Kings drop-in or any other?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am considering the same upgrade on my Mil Spec.. But I think you also need to change the hammer to commander style.. (King's catalog states, drop-in safety #204 for colt commanders, officers and Springfield Armory Gov. model with commander hammer..)
Can someone confirm this??
I know Wilson Combat also makes drop-in grip safety, but it's for "COLT" 1911 only.. The Wilson rep told me that Springfield 1911 has different grip contours (the rear end of frame where grip safety fits in) than Colt.. So their drop-in safety only fit in Colt pistols..
Steve...

·
Registered
15 Posts
try cdnn they have alot of drop in parts for 1911, alot by mccormick, and good prices. ask for tommy. email is cdnninvestments.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Although CDNN is one of my favorite companies to deal with (they are fast and accurate..), I don't think they carry "drop-in" grip safeties for Springfield 1911.. Chip McCormick's grip safety is designed for 250 frame radius (like, COLT).. Springfield, I was told, is 220 frame.. Same reason why Wilson's "drop-in" grip safey wouldn't work with Springfield.. Thus, unfortunatly, frame modification (milling) is required.. (I confirmed this with Chip's rep..)
I'm not sure if I want to modify the frame permanantly, so Chip's safety is not an option for me.. And that's a shame because I like Chip's products.. Good but not overpriced.. My kind of company..

Steve...

[This message has been edited by Stevo (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I think Wilsons was the first to come out with a drop in upswept beavertail grip safety, check them out to.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WIlson's beavertail doesn't fit a Springfield properly, that's why I'm considering the Kings, but wanted to hear some feedback before I bought one.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have used the Kings 204 on a couple of SA milspec pistols, both full sized and milspec compact (or ultra?). No problems at all, requires a commander style hammer and slight fitting of the arm. Not the stylish look of the current upswept trend, but does the job and doesn't look bad at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a prewar colt and a drop in from cdnn, and the frame of the gun would still have to be fitted. So I am not about to destroy the frame to fit the c.m. beaver tail . but would let but it appears to be right for my springfield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts