1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of folks sell drop in bushings for the full size government model, but does Brownells or anyone else offer a tighter nongunsmith fit barrel bushing for the Commander?

I'm pleased with the accuracy of my new 1991 Commander, but I've got the bug just to play around with it a little.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
jtb1967

The answer to your question is, YES. Wilson Combat makes an oversized Commander bushing that is an easy fit. It is slightly oversized on the outside diameter, yet retains the standard inner diameter for factory barrels. The bushing is made from stainless steel, and all that needed for fitting is to lightly sand the outer surfaces with fine sandpaper until it fits to your satisfaction. I installed one in about 15 minutes, and will be doing a couple more in the near future. I installed mine snug enough to install and turn fairly easily with just your fingers, yet tight enough that removal is best done by using the barrel to ease it out.

You can get these bushing directly from Wilson Combat, or from Brownells.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
693 Posts
Brownells sells an EGW drop in that will be a perfect fit for your Commander, I just put one in a couple weeks ago-function was perfect and tightened up my groups considerably.

Byrd

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Str8_Shot said:
jtb1967

You can get these bushing directly from Wilson Combat, or from Brownells.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

I only see the Wilson bushing for the full size government model in Brownell's catalog.

Byrd, will the EGW bushing work with the stock guide rod? The melted bushing I see in Brownells says "only works with two piece guide rods".

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ditto Broncs reply, the one you want is the EGW thick flange angled bore bushing, not the melted one. It works with one peice full guide rod as well as standard short one. My Colt bbl. measured .579 OD and the EGW is .580 ID so it was a perfect fit. I did have to polish the outside diameter of the bushing a bit to get the fit I wanted in the slide.

Hope this helps
Byrd

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ditto on the EGW angle bore Commander bushing. It fit my barrel & slide perfect. I polished it lightly with a fine abrasive pad, just enough that I can use a plastic wrench to remove it. Friggin' precision fit :cool:
Wish the rest of my project was that easy..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts