1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If I build up a plain-Jane 1911, should I have the parts (beavertail grip safety, new trigger, new barrel, etc.) fitted by someone or will it be OK just to drop it in?

What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Accuracy is second. All of my guns shoot better than I do, but reliability is most important.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Wilson makes the only drop-in grip safety that I'm aware of.

As for the trigger - do you mean JUST the trigger - or do you mean a trigger job (sear, hammer, etc.)? If it's just the trigger - no big deal. If it's the works, then some offer drop in components, but the feel is never quite as good as professionally tuned triggers.

I would leave the barrel fitting to the pros, but again most will drop-in.

Only you will be able to judge reliability after these mods if you do them yourself. 500 rds without a bobble is a good baseline.

If you are not familiar with 1911's, I would suggest the services of a pro. You just may change your opinion of accuracy if a pro helps you.

What's wrong with reliable AND accurate? I wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,003 Posts
If you need the services of a 'smith to install the trigger, beavertail and barrel, then you are paying someone else to build your gun; might as well be Kimber. The two reasons I can see for building a gun is to save $$$ on gunsmithing, or to have the fun of doing the building. You're going to get neither if you pay someone to install the parts. Drop-in parts rarely are. I built a gun up from "drop-in" components from at least eight manufacturers, and the only parts that didn't need some fitting were the plunger tube and slide stop. Paying to have someone do the fitting would have been prohibitively expensive. Doing the work myself was prohibitivey expensive; I have $800+ worth of parts in a gun that might be worth $500.

·
Administrator
72,074 Posts
Whether or not the parts "drop-in" is a game of chance. Plan on needing the parts fitted to at least some degree.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by RickB:
Doing the work myself was prohibitivey expensive; I have $800+ worth of parts in a gun that might be worth $500.
Rick,

How about tools. Any guesses on how much one would have to spend on tools?

Thanks,

Phil

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,003 Posts
I got by with a small vise, a selection of needle files, an 8" mill file, an India stone, and some emery cloth. I tried to avoid having to buy any special jigs or fixtures, and that kept the cost down.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Unless you have prior experience hand-fitting parts (and even drop ins need some fitting) best to leave it to a professional.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts