1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 30+ yrs I have shot box stock Colts. I have assembled more than a few parts guns to "GI Specs". Always had a average to poor trigger but learned to shoot well with them. Question is how well do the "drop in" hammer sear combinations really work and are they really "drop in".

Can/do you get a decent trigger pull without having to do any tuning? I am looking for a smooth crisp 4 lb trigger for carry. I do not want a 2 lb competition unit. Any advise short of sending it to a 'smith?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Grump, I put a Cylinder & Slide drop in kit in my "parts gun", and it made a world of difference. Dropped right in, no muss, no fuss. I can't remember the name of the kit right offhand, but it goes for about $110 in Brownells. The one problem that I had was that the hammer contacted the spur of the grip safety when the slide was pulled back, to the point where the grip safety couldn't go any farther, and the slide still wouldn't come past the hammer face. Some judicious filing on the spur to reshape it got that problem taken care of, but I'm considering a beavertail with hammer cutout as the next addition.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have a Nowlin drop-in trigger kit (S7 tool steel) in my 1911. It dropped right in and gave me a crisp 3.75 lb trigger with no creep.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've also had good success with the McCormick hammer/sear kits - they usually hit in the 3.5 - 4lb range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im one of those people that need the short trigger so i went with the Videci short al. trigger and did the small amount of fitting myself. The trigger is at about 4-5 lbs. with a very small amount of takeup then a very crisp letoff. I did this to a Gov. Enhanced and a 11a1 mil spec from SA as well. PAT

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've found the CMC hammer/sear kits to have a lot of creep. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't think of what.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
I've had success with the McCormick (CMC)hammer and sear. If there is creep, try changing to the CMC disconnector as well.

Theoretically, the hammer and sear angles are just right from the EDM machine. Suggest you not change the angles unless you have experience doing so.

The hammer hooks which engage the sear have to be deep enough to prevent accidental discharge or hammer follow. The edge of the sear travels along the hammer hooks until release. That can be the creep you feel. You can have a good smith see if they should be made a tad shallower and still be safe.

You probabley know all this already.

------------------
In dealing with government remember that for every "freedom from..." you gain,
you lose a "freedom to..."

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do these drop in kits fit the series 80 pistols too, or just the earlier models???
tia
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
The new colt sear spring with the thinned leaf for the sear and disconector may help you guys. The Blue in color sear springs have a better feel imho. The lighter leaf's on the spring are less prone to give hammer follow with lighter trigger jobs.
Hammer hooks you usually hear .018 to .022 numbers thrown around. Feeler gauges make this easy to check.
19# main springs may also help you out.
Yes the hammer and sear kits will work regardless of ser 80 or not.
Just check both of your safties when your done or have them checked. Drop a widgit down the bore and make sure it goes for a ride when your done too, espically on ser 80's
If it goes 4' it will go off.
geo ><>

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I tried the CMC years ago,was good except for some creep and marginal overcock.After having a few with attempted trigger jobs,I taught myself to do it,with Kuhnhausen's books at my side.Luckily I only ruined one hammer and it was the stock one I tried the first time,but it was being replaced.I redo the existing parts most of the time,but it requires the jigs.If you can get the sear recut by someone good locally and adjust the sear spring,you can get 4lbs or close cheap.A 19lb mainspring will help,but the sear needs attention to lose creep.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have put several guns together using the Wilson Combat " Value line hammer and sear " nothing else other than an adjustable Videcki or similar trigger . The diffreance is remarkable . I just changed out the parts . These work on 70 and 80 series guns just fine . They run around 29.00 and 15.00 to the best of my memory right now . Trigger pull feels about like 4.5 to 5 lbs. and extra crispy to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
seems like Nowlin is a winner. I just ordered their Gold Titanium Nitride Action Kit. I will report after I install it.

Thanks for all the good info.

Shay

·
Registered
568 Posts
I went with Nowlin - great results.

For something different I then tried C&S. Definitely NOT a drop-in. I wound up using my old sear -- the feet on the sear were way too big.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts