1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diff between a, lets say, Wilson Combat drop in BT and a Bt that requires machining of the frame?
Is it all cosmetic and cost?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
The rough answer to your question is 'yes'. A Wilson drop-in beavertail fits okay, similar to a poor fitting factory type like a Colt enhanced model for instance. They do the job, they just aren't as graceful as a custom fitted safety. A custom fitted safety can be fitted to the point where it looks almost like part of the frame.

Most of all, once you've modified your frame for a custom beavertail there is no going back to a standard grip safety.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beavertail Safety

I have one 1911 with a drop-in and one with a fitted beavertail safety. I will agree that the fitted one looks a little better. However, I disagree with JeffC's comment

"Most of all, once you've modified your frame for a custom beavertail there is no going back to a standard grip safety."

Why not? At least with the Wilson, all you have done is modify the back of frame to accept a custom beavertail safety. I can put my stock grip safety back on the pistol and it will function correctly...doesn't look bad either...that is if the job is done right.

Sakima

·
Registered
454 Posts
if the job is done right.
that says it all. if it is done with a
lot of pride and skill there is no
question which is better looking and i do believe it helps proformance cause
fewer thing can get snagged or stuck
in that area. if out of the box factory
colt quality is perfection in your
eyes then the extra cost for a finely
fitted part might not be worth it to you, but if you desire a more enhanced
pistol in look and proformance the extra effort ad cost might be very
nessesary.
i like the parts to look like they
grew together and just so happen to
function as a fine pistol.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I looked into a drop in, didnt like it. I had mine fitted. The gun needed bead-blasted anyway.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Bottom line is that drop-in beavertails, depending on the brand of beavertail and the base gun, can look somewhere between "decent, but not great" and "total monkey ass."

A properly fitted beavertail looks somewhere between "considerably better" and "way, way better" than a drop-in.

Also, the inferior fit of a drop-in beavertail can make it less comfortable than a properly fitted one.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
A properly fitted beavertail is not only a thing of beauty but will probably feel better in the hand. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to have one fitted this way either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts