1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I didn't run completely out of ammo.... LOL.

I was doing some improptu sprinting last night across my parents' driveway, mainly for the fun of it (bad ankle injury had me convinced I'd never run again, glad I was wrong :) ) and I heard this crash behind me. I turn to spy a long, shiny object laying on the payment.

I checked my mag carrier: EMPTY! That was my Wilson Combat mag back there!

No significant damage: I think it landed square on the top round. But I've tightened up my carrier screws...something we might all need to do. I'll make checking those a habit from now on.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Dude I drop mags during IPSC practice all the time (and then sometimes step on them/kick them as I haul ass down the stage). Don't worry, they can take some abuse.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
At least you found out in this situation instead of on the two way range, while running to cover or towards a gunfight. It is always good to test your gear.

·
Super Moderator
13,571 Posts
It won't hurt it one bit, as another member pointed out, this have been done in IPSC and USPSA competitions since the late 70s. Partially full magazines have been dropped/discarded during reloads into dirt, sand, concrete floors, mud, grass, etc.

The bigger concern should be directed toward your type of magazine carrier. If it doesn't hold your magazine security during a short run on your driveway, you should reconsider the options.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Glad you heard it and found same. Losing a magazine may have prompted a SWAT team response in certain areas. :) Seriously, glad you noticed it, they're made to drop, could have been way worse if your pistol skidded across the driveway!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dude I drop mags during IPSC practice all the time (and then sometimes step on them/kick them as I haul ass down the stage). Don't worry, they can take some abuse.
I always enjoyed when I'd step on one (in a gravel bay of course) and make a hard pivot turn either left or right. You know, just to really dig that sucker into the gravel. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least you found out in this situation instead of on the two way range, while running to cover or towards a gunfight. It is always good to test your gear.
I was thinking the same exact thing! :cool: And thank God the Lord allowed it to happen so I can do something about it. I tightened up my retention screws on the carrier (High Noon Holsters) and now the mag stays in even when upside down.

I cringed when I thought about a mag getting stepped on in gravel!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
What kind of mag carrier do you use (who's)? I have a couple of Fobus mag carriers that I use for comps, but for ccw I have a single and a double...both leather and none of my mag carriers have ever dropped a mag. Matter of fact, my leather carriers require a significant amount of pull to get them out. None of them have any adjustment screws.

Never mind, just saw it's High Noon model.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have tested my carry options; Galco NSA holster, Mitch Rosen pouch on Galco double thick belt! All is secure even on a dead run.

I'm curious what the experience has been with Kydex... Use nylon tanker holsters when hunting but can't bring myself to wear plastic. The belt loops look flimsy!

Let me know, Kydex guys!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I'm curious what the experience has been with Kydex... but can't bring myself to wear plastic. The belt loops look flimsy!

Let me know, Kydex guys!

I have a Blackhawk Serpa that's just as strong as my leather holsters and better than most. And I have a couple of Fobus (short model and long model) that all my 1911's fit in. I'll throw that on around the house because it's quick on and off, and many times don't feel like switching out when I go somewhere and it stays on. It's comfortable and secure. Doesn't have loops, but it's fine. If Blackhawk and Fobus were the only holsters I could get, I wouldn't be unhappy.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
While I do take very good care of my magazines (the old canard is that if your 1911 stutters it's most likely the magazine), I even send the dedicated ones along with the firearm to the customizer.

But I also buy "extras." Let me explain.

For my P238, I have several standard issue magazines. For daily carry, I bought four hi-caps. Three are carried, one stays in reserve, then they get rotated. If one is dropped or if I get that "hinkie feeling" about reliability, I rotate the possible problem out until that magazine can be inspected, cleaned and test fired.

I do the same with the defensive ammunition I use. Yeah, yeah, far too paranoid. I just don't want to hear "click" instead of "bang" when the worst day of my life occurs. Spending a few minutes with the magazines is a small price.

As I enter this I am researching smaller Kimbers in .45 ACP. But I will also be researching the magazines needed.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If somebody starts making em out of glass, I'd be worried. The carrier requires some attention, though.

Bob

·
Registered
333 Posts
Some mag carriers that have adjustment screws slowly come out of adjustment over time. For those types, I put a drop of blue loctite. Some use clear nail polish. If it has more problems than that it goes in the drawer.

As one of my habits when getting ready evey morning is to put my gear on, pull out each mag, put it back in, and press check my gun. If anything feels off, it gets adjusted right there.

Kind of an embarrassing story, but one day after going to the range the day before I was going through my rituals in the morning. Same thing I've done for over 20 yrs... checking my gear. Except this time when I drew out my first mag it was empty, second one two...crap. In my haste to get off the range the day before I stuck the wrong mags (empty) in my double mag pouch.

Thanks gawd, at least my gun was loaded. :D What a bad feeling that would be to do a reload in the middle of a gun fight and have no bullets in it.

Sorry, went off ons tangent. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have tested my carry options; Galco NSA holster, Mitch Rosen pouch on Galco double thick belt! All is secure even on a dead run.

I'm curious what the experience has been with Kydex... Use nylon tanker holsters when hunting but can't bring myself to wear plastic. The belt loops look flimsy!

Let me know, Kydex guys!
I use a garrett mag carrier every day and it is tight and stout but can still manage a fast reload if necessary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts