1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me where I can find literature on why one should not drop the slide on an empty chamber with the slide release? A fellow firearms instructor doesn't believe that this has any detrimental effects to the pistol whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
He obviously doesn't know 1911s much.The only writings I can think of would be in Kuhnhausen's and other smithing manuals.Personally,I think it's common sense.Not only does metal slam harder without a round to cushion it,but the jolt can trip the hammer as we all know.Makes perfect sense if you think about it.Sounds like you might be talking to a tree with this guy.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that letting the slide slam forward can damage/wear the slide release and actually damage/wear the locking lugs, causing the slide to sit forward when in battery, and can ruin trigger jobs by blunting the sear face, etc.,but I would like to find some literature, or even correspondance from a reputable gunsmith, as this is all this guy is likely to listen to, as he has "been to an armorer's course."

·
Registered
172 Posts
While RO'ing I watch a lot of people drop slides on empty chambers, I really dont care what people do with their own guns as long as they dont do it to mine. It's there gun, who's to say their wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts