1911Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So it's a no go for snap caps... Is that for any auto's or just 1911's? I have a ruger 40 also. Do you have any videos that you would suggest?

------------------
"It's better to be confused and distraught, than it is to be mislead in the wrong direction"

·
Registered
863 Posts
From what I understand, the only weapons that can be damaged by dry firing are rimfire cartridge guns because the firing pin can over travel and hit the edge of the chamber. I traded my Ruger P93dc for the BUL, I never took out the firing pin on it but being a Ruger, I doubt it can be harmed by anything less than a thermo-nuclear device!
Those Rugers are WAY overbuilt IMHO, which is bad for gun weight, great for longevity.
If you notice, the snap-caps are usually packaged in 5 or 6 packs which make it seem they are geared towards revolvers.

A far as the video, I'm looking to buy my first too. Can't give suggestions now. The main point to my statement about getting a video is that it will provide a tangible benefit for your money , the caps won't.
The video I will be looking for will be a 1911 based beginners guide dealing with proper handling, proper stance, firing for accuracy and a primer on accessories that will benefit the new (or just getting serious) shooter. I will definately post a review for you when I find one that comes close to what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
Once or twice, then after the spent primer gets mashed you're not helping anything. It's also hard to get it into the chamber, since you should never hand-feed rounds into a 1911 (strains the extractor).

...Hmmm...I guess my SA must be broke...It feeds empties from the magazine

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Note that most modern (20 years of so) Ruger .22's will not be damaged by dry-firing. They are designed to block the firing pin before it peens the chamber rim. I think there are other .22's that are also designed that way, but I don't know specific brands.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks again gents for the info. I'll be sure to put it all to good use.

------------------
"It's better to be confused and distraught, than it is to be mislead in the wrong direction"

21 - 25 of 25 Posts