1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've seen some tactical flashlights advertised that have both LED and Xenon lighting elements built in. The user can have normal "penlight" type illumination without putting much of a drain on the batteries, but can easily switch on the high-intensity beam if it's needed. This seems like a great idea. Are any of you carrying/using this style of light? I'd be looking for one that could easily be carried in/clipped to a pocket, so I probably wouldn't want to go any bigger than a 2-lithium cell model (like the size of a Surefire Executive). Additional information (and sources for good deals) would be welcome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently started using a Surefure A2 Aviator, and I am very impressed with it. It has three LEDs and one bright halogen-type bulb. You can get the LEDs in all red or all white. I chose red, and like this combination becuase you can use the red LEDs for looking at things close up in the dark (like reading a map in a car) without losing your night vision, and use the bright white light for full illumination of more distant objects.

I achieve essentially the same thing with red flip-up filters on Surefire 6Z, 6N, 3P, etc. lights. But the A2 is smaller, lighter, more convenient, and has very sophisticated power management features. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
562 Posts
After exhaustive product reviews and researching I just ordered an A2 and should be receiving it any time now. I've seen the E2E and A2 side by side and the A2 is about an inch longer. Both are very small lights (at least from what I'm used to). The E2E has a 65 lumen bulb and will go about 60 minutes I believe. The A2 has a 50 lumen bulb but only goes 40 minutes. You can go to http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/reviews/reviews_index.htm
for some great info and reviews on the different lights. I went with the A2 because most of the time I need a quick not-so-bright LED, but occasionally need a bright spot...this one fits both needs.

I have another light called a Xenergy from lifestyle fascination for about $40. This light has a 3 led low, 6 led medium, then a pretty damn bright Incandescent. Its fairly small but not as small as the A2. The other thing I dont like is that this light doesn't have a tailcap 'on/off' - you have to click the buttom 3 times to get to the bright, then once again to turn it off. Not a bad bedside light but not the best for tactical/everyday carry.

If you've got the change I think the surefire is the way to go.

BTW, check Ebay (now that I have mine :D ) - there are some very good deals right now on the surefires - got my A2 for $120 delivered.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think the Aviator comes in green led also. Green is the best color for night vision. The human eye picks up green better than other colors and does not burn out your vision like a bright white light...

H

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I have some good choices available. The Aviator seems like a great light, but I'd definitely have to forgo other purchases to get one. The site Cacique referenced also had a very favorable review of a Streamlight Twintask lithium-cell light that might be more my speed. Right now I carry one of the $20 Brinkmann's from Wal-Mart which puts out plenty of light but doesn't have the battery-saving LEDs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My husband has the Streamlight TT-1 LED-Xenon light. It's the 1-litium light, 3 LEDs in white. It puts out a nice dispersed LED, and the xenon is pretty tight pattern. Pretty inexpensive for a decent light, IMHO. Only thing I don't like about it is the off-xenon-off-LED button. You have to click through to get the light to your preferred setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts