1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody changed out the dual recoil spring setup in their recent Colt pistols for traditional setups due to reliability concerns?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yep. More moving parts that are really not needed. Traditional rod and springs give more versatility and reliability.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Colt's dual recoil spring RSA works just fine in their 45 guns. It is probably overkill for 9mm.

It takes a while to wear out the dual springs but my normal process is once it's time to change the springs I install a standard rod and a standard chrome silicon recoil spring simply because they are always available. Finding springs for the dual spring RSA is a different matter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am beginning to think that my Commander .45 is simply way over sprung and I’m experiencing last round FTF’s with various magazines and ammo types. Extractor tension has been checked and ramp and throat has been polished by a gunsmith.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
I thought it interesting that a Gold Cup Light I bought in 38 Super had the double recoil springs with orange on the end but a GCNM in 9mm had the single large spring with green on the end. I do switch out the double springs as trying to buy replacements is not easy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have five that had the dual springs. I bought Wolf springs and Wilson short guide rods. Had a couple of FTF with the stock dual springs, after changing, no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Has anybody changed out the dual recoil spring setup in their recent Colt pistols for traditional setups due to reliability concerns?
When the dual springs setup on my guns wear out, I’ll replace with the traditional single spring for the sake of simplicity. Reliability isn’t an issue with the dual springs setup.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I took out the assemblys and duel spring set up out of my shooter Colt M45A1. Old scool stuff seems to work just fine for me. But its well broken in now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I prefer my 1911 and AR15 to be standard parts, not proprietary stuff I can’t ever find in stock. I changed out the Colt dual spring setup for a Wolff 16 pound spring and Wilson Combat short guide rod. I think the dual spring design is more about marketing than anything else.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Dual springs have become popular in several makes because they increase the service interval of the weapon - don't need replacement as often as singles. I believe Colt's USMC .45 was the first to get it as a standard item, besides the Deltas. I assume most users of the newer guns are happy, or Colt would change it back to prevent complaints.

But with lighter loads it has the effect of reducing the "reserve energy" the mechanism has while operating. Easier on the gun, but only reliable 100% with full loads - particularly when new on a tighter fitted brand new gun.

Originally, Colt used dual springs in the Delta Elite in 10MM because they needed the extra springing for the wide range of loads (usually hotter) used in them. Dakota, the Super .38 is usually a more powerful cartridge that the 9MM, particularly in some loadings. The "Green Spring" is Colt's original "Wadcutter Spring" shipped with .45 ACP Gold Cups, along with a standard.

Colt does need to address the availability of commonly used up replacement parts - I thought the move to Brownell's would be good, but only if they keep them supplied. On many guns the single spring is all you need - but the 10MM and other (9x23, hot Super) calibers may still benefit from the dual springs. CC

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I thought it interesting that a Gold Cup Light I bought in 38 Super had the double recoil springs with orange on the end but a GCNM in 9mm had the single large spring with green on the end. I do switch out the double springs as trying to buy replacements is not easy.
The National Match in .38 SPR also has single spring setup. Heck, the spare spring is also green tipped.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
For a quick picture here is my Gold Cup Lite in 38 Super I bought new in 2018. Field stripped soon after I bought it.

·
Vendor
4,871 Posts
I throw them right out whenever possible. It isn’t a huge deal for .45’s but for the sub caliber guns like a 9, I ditch em for a 10-11 pound spring.

Those dual recoil springs feel like the front sight dips too much on 9mm. They don’t shoot flat for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I throw them right out whenever possible. It isn’t a huge deal for .45’s but for the sub caliber guns like a 9, I ditch em for a 10-11 pound spring.

Those dual recoil springs feel like the front sight dips too much on 9mm. They don’t shoot flat for me.
I have a 45 commander with the dual recoil set up. I like how it shoots but reading everyone's negative reviews towards it maybe I will see an improvement swapping for a single spring setup.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a 45 commander with the dual recoil set up. I like how it shoots but reading everyone's negative reviews towards it maybe I will see an improvement swapping for a single spring setup.
If you like how it shoots, just keep the dual spring RSA until it's time to replace it then go with a standard setup. The dual springs work fine on the 45 guns, they just aren't maintainable.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
First of all, if memory served, when Colt released the dual springs setup a few years ago, I believe the claim was that it helped tame the recoil. I could be wrong but I could have sworn reading about it with guns review and maybe a Colt video.

Secondly, I have no dual springs .45 or 9mm so I can't compare those guns to my single spring .45 and 9mm Colts.

Thirdly, I do have multiple single springs and dual springs .38 Supers so I can speak to those guns. To me, the dual spring didn't seem to attenuate the recoil at all, but the "felt" recoil was different. Different as in different and not necessarily better or worse.

The dual spring gun's slide travel felt "sluggish(?)". I don't have a timer so I didn't have any proof that the dual springs setup cycled the slide slower than the single spring setup. I'm not a competition shooter and I don't particularly care about the 1/100th or 1/1000th of a second that might determines a first place from a second place. Just a recreational shooter.

The dual springs setup just felt slightly different to me, at least in .38 Super. When these springs in these guns get weak, I'll replace them with single spring units just to keep things simple. So far the dual springs haven't given me any reason to doubt the reliability of the gun.

Also, I think that one needs a regular GI guide rod if one were to go to a single spring because the dual spring guide rod might be too narrow for the single spring.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Colt Competition pistols on the left with dual springs. Goverment Models on the right with single springs. All .38 Supers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts