1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the recent proud owner of a new Strider SMF spearpoint. I have had it for 2 weeks and have not cut anything of substance and have noticed that it is relatively dull. I have numerous Emerson's that I use hard and have never sharpened and they are sharper than this new knife. Anyone else have this problem with them dulling quickly? What is the best sharpener out there for a Strider? I know they are beefy and that not every sharpener will work. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
You can sharpen a Strider on a rock if you need to! I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker when I need to freshen up the blade. A few strokes and its hair shaving sharp. I also have a set of crock sticks my son bought for me years ago that I use.

Of course you can call the Strider boys and they will sharpen it for just the postage fees.

Good Luck with your sharpening chores,

Allen

Attachments

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I have seen that a few times as well as with Emerson's. I use a Lansky type sharpener or a wet stone in the field with sythetic gun oil and I'm pretty good with both, having been a guide much of my life. The Strider touches up pretty easily. If you don't want to bother with it, send it back and they will give you some tips for keeping it sharp as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Better just send it to me.:biglaugh: I have several Striders and have used Spyderco sharpmaker, DMT diamond stones, and other ceramic stones. I have never had any trouble keeping them sharp or dulling too early.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I have a PT that I use at work every day and it holds an edge quite well (I have other Striders as well but don't use them everyday). When needed I also use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Usually doesn't take much to bring it back to a shaving edge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A coworker of mine bought a Buck/Strider that was completely dull. He brought it to me and I put it on the belt sander for a couple of passes and then stropped it on a Sharpmaker

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sometimes even the best makers goof and put a "wire edge" on a blade. Now, a wire edge is scary sharp, but dulls quickly. Just resharpen it.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Hey,
That wire edge equates to results. Its then my 1 3/4-inch belt comes off, looped over the foot and the stropping begins on the inner side.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My first strider was an SnG and although it was not dull, it cut stuff, I remember being a bit disappointed that it wasn't razor sharp. But then I remembered... I didn't buy a razor. I bought a heavy duty knife made of the best materials available.

I used the SnG as-is until it didn't cut well and then put a razor edge on it with my lansky kit. It holds that edge well. I keep it sharp with touch ups. That was a year and three striders ago.

My RCC GG SAT was sharper than my SnG was when new. My SA and 15th anniversary AR were both pretty darn sharp. They certainly are heavy duty tools. You could kill someone with the AR without ever opening the knife. ;)

My first few EDC folders were $60-90 sypderco and crkt knives with decent blades but they used inferior parts throughout the rest of the folder (even plastic spacers) that wore out. My striders will outlast me, no problem.

It is more cost effective to buy striders. They last. Awesome warranty, you break it, they fix it. Made with American made materials, in America, by Americans that served America!
:rock:

I really love my Brock keychain knife too. Hi Ken. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first strider was an SnG and although it was not dull, it cut stuff, I remember being a bit disappointed that it wasn't razor sharp. But then I remembered... I didn't buy a razor. I bought a heavy duty knife made of the best materials available.

I used the SnG as-is until it didn't cut well and then put a razor edge on it with my lansky kit. It holds that edge well. I keep it sharp with touch ups. That was a year and three striders ago.

My RCC GG SAT was sharper than my SnG was when new. My SA and 15th anniversary AR were both pretty darn sharp. They certainly are heavy duty tools. You could kill someone with the AR without ever opening the knife. ;)

My first few EDC folders were $60-90 sypderco and crkt knives with decent blades but they used inferior parts throughout the rest of the folder (even plastic spacers) that wore out. My striders will outlast me, no problem.

It is more cost effective to buy striders. They last. Awesome warranty, you break it, they fix it. Made with American made materials, in America, by Americans that served America!
:rock:

I really love my Brock keychain knife too. Hi Ken. :)

hi pal:rock:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a Lansky diamond stone. It's pretty easy to use with the guides. I used the steepest angle. It takes a while because you have to basically change the angle of the edge with the rough. Go to the fine next, then use a strop to get rid of the false edge. Also, keep in mind, this is a hard use knife with a steep working edge, not a razor, if you sharpen it to a razor edge, it will loose that edge quickly if you are using it too chop, hack, etc. depends on your use. Also, it's pnly a pain the first time. once you change the angle of the edge to your sharpener guide, it just requires touch up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts