1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took 4 new Wilson 8rnders to the range today and had the second (3rd sometimes) to last round in all 4 mags nose up in the chamber.When the mag was removed,1/2 the time it had to be pulled out and the round that was still in the mag came rolling out,telling me the top round was following the one being chambered.

This happened in a Colt Commander and a SA I built.Both feed my load (5.8grs 231 under reinier 200swc,1.238 oal-I know,short but reliable to now) reliably in Shooting Star and Colt mags.

Do these need to break in or what?This happened in a match,so diag wasn't an option.I did notice the round on the follower was always at a steeper angle than the rest.The lip timing seems fine,but think they need a touch of polishing.Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Nah... No break in should be necessary...

It sounds like the follower is hanging up. You may want to try disassmbling the mag, and checking the parts.

Possible that the spring is installed backwards, causing a weird angle for the follower, and incorrect tension.

You mention that you're shooting reloads. The problem could be in the OAL vs. the feed lips profile. The newer Wilsons do tend to release early compared to Colts. You might want to try some good ole Factory Ball and see what happens.

Good Luck...

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Try increasing your OAL to 1.260" - 1.270" and see if the problems go away. Like jaydee said if it will not feed ball could be a mag issue. BTW have you checked the extractor tension?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but all of my Wilson mags came with an instruction sheet that said to load them up and let them sit for a day before using them. I did this and have never had a problem with them, or Shooting Stars, in my Colt Gold Cup. Maybe it has to do with the springs taking a set or something.
You would think that for the sake of their reputation they would do this at the factory prior to shipping them.
Neil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx guys.

Joe, extractor is cool.

Neil, I got an instruction? page with mine,but nothing about that-but it's worth a try.

JD, sounds viable.I didn't have a chance to test them before the match,but thought it was odd the round on the follower was nosed up 10 +/- degres compared to the rest.

First I'm going to polish the inside of the lips and check the springs are assembled right.The lips seem to be tuned about the same as my Mc's,but rougher than 120 sandpaper.If that doesn't work,I'll pick up some ball to try.If that fails,I guess the old reliable load needs a new oal.We'll get her though.Thanx for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts