1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really nice Commander-sized gun that I've had a small bit of work done on, and that is near-perfect for me. The only thing I wish it had was a deep blue finish (it's stainless steel now). This will seem like a dumb set of questions, I'm sure, but I'd like to know the answers to the following and would appreciate the input from this forum:

1. Can stainless steel be blued? Any difference in results from that of carbon steel?

2. Are MIM parts an issue in the bluing process? Will they look different from machined SS?

3. What bluing processes are there, and which one gives the most durable, deepest blue finish?

4. Can someone recommend a good place to have such work done? I've read about Ted Yost's and Doug Turnbull's work recently; both look outstanding. Any others to consider?

I would appreciate any and all help you could provide -- thanks.

Specialized

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Blueing is controlled rust (oxidation).

Steel is an alloy whose principal element is iron.
"Stainless" (a misnomer) steel is made rust resistant by small amounts of additional metals, especially chromium, which is very resistant to oxidation.

Therefore, it cannot be readily "blued".

It can be coated in various ways, however.

MIM processes and metal types differ. Many MIM parts can be blued.

Blueing is rust. Dunno who to recommend over others, but Gunsite does a nice job.

Best.

·
Registered
21,766 Posts
Robar does a stainless steel blackening process, chromium sulfide.
Brownells sells a compound - Oxynate 84 - for the purpose, but I have not seen any shop to advertise that they use it. It is not a DIY treatment.
Smith & Wesson sold some blackened stainless guns a few years ago. Very handsome, but it did NOT look like blued carbon steel. Any carbon steel parts on the gun would have to be fine bead blasted and blued for a reasonably close color match. I don't know what process or contractor they used.

Coloring of MIM parts depends on what alloy was used in the mix.

Me?
I'd get used to the white gun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the slide on my stainless steel Springfield blued by a company called Techplate.
It lookes alot like the classic carbon bluing.
The sides were mirror polished so you cant really see the deep color in the picture but take my word for it that it looks as nice as any bluing Ive seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello,

I live about 15 minutes from Techplate. The main tech guy there, his name is Marshall, I believe his email is [email protected]. Drop him an email, he will answer all your questions in a very professional manner. Techplate does what they call "Stainless Bluing". I am hoping to utilize their service for that soon. Give them a try.

Pklin

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Usual...

You can't beat the experience and friendliness on this forum! Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to email Marshall now and see what's what. Magnum PI, that's a beautiful gun! Looks like it polishes up real nice.

Thanks again, folks!

Specialized

1 - 7 of 7 Posts