1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share what I do for my dummy rounds that I've found much cheaper and more useful than snap caps.:

What I do for dummy rounds is simply load up a round as I would during the rest of the loading process, minus any powder and minus any primer.

In the primer pocket, fill it with Permatex and level it out. The Permetex will work as a firing pin cushion for dry firing, as well as a positive visual indicator of an inert round.

Since the Permatexed dummy rounds look and feel almost identical to a batch of standard reloads, they work great for simulating failure drills and for practicing fundamentals. What I like to do is pull a handfull each of live and dummy rounds and mix them together in a pocket and load them into a magazine by feel, or have a shooting partner load them. As such, you will not be able to predict when a live or dummy round is in the chamber.

I find this useful for performing a failure drill requiring a SPORTS resolution to clear the dummy round and chamber the next round.

In addition, these work great for working on fundamentals and working on flinching habits. Since the dummy rounds are loaded in a random order in the magazine, it simulates the age old method of loading one chamber in a revolver and dry-firing through until the live round is fired.

After a while the Permatex will get a little chewed up from the firing pin and can be carved out with a small screwdriver and fresh Permatex reapplied.

These dummy rounds can be easily created for rifle and pistol rounds.

At any rate, these really helped me to work out some bad habbits with my .30-06 and .44 Mag, and get me considerably smoother with my .45.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Great idea. I have used a dowel that fit the primer pocket and sawed it off even with the cartridge base. This works too.

Just be careful and keep them separate, I would hate to be looking down the barrel at a 8 pt buck, pull the trigger and hear click.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts