1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a duo-tone P-13 with the ss frame and blued slide and was wondering what type of finish is on the slide? It does not look blued it looks like it was painted black.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't know what Para calls it, but it is actually a coating similar to another manufacturer's "armor-tuff".

Your slide is actually stainless too, so bluing was not an option.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have never heard that the Duo-tone pistols were stainless frame and blackened stainless slide. Also, the Duo-tone pistols always listed for less then the Stainless models. This always led me to believe that the duo-tone pistols had Carbon steel slides. Would you happen to have a source for this information?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
I'll see what I can dig up....
I just talked to Larry at Para Ordnance about this, and he said that the slide SHOULD be carbon steel. He thinks that there were a few prototypes that may have been released to market with S/S coated slides.

Kitt, you may want to confirm that the slide is indeed S/S as opposed to carbon steel that has been "blued". I say "blued" because Para's finish is actually a black "blue".

Therefore, you have 3 options....You have one of those one-offs that slipped thru production that has a coated S/S slide OR you have a slide that was re-coated by aftermarket source (was your gun bought new?) OR you actually have a carbon slide that has black "blue" that just looks like paint.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A duo-tone P13 is a rare bird indeed!!!! If the one you have was actually factory assembled, and not reassembled by a distributer to make it a duo-tone...it is especially rare!!! It's a keeper for sure. As for the finish, it is Electo-static applied powder paint, and has been double baked for durability. (Standard "Black" finish on Para Slides) Hope it shoots as sweet as it sounds!!!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Newton:
A duo-tone P13 is a rare bird indeed!!!! If the one you have was actually factory assembled, and not reassembled by a distributer to make it a duo-tone...it is especially rare!!! It's a keeper for sure. As for the finish, it is Electo-static applied powder paint, and has been double baked for durability. (Standard "Black" finish on Para Slides) Hope it shoots as sweet as it sounds!!!
Thanks for confirming what I suspected, and what Para confirmed as well. It is a electro-static applied powder coating that was never meant to be sold commercially. Nice to have a fellow Para man on board - especially from Canada!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks foe all the info. I have a P-16 SS Limited, a P-12 SS, a P-12 SS Limited and the P-13 Duo-Tone. I like the P-13 and it shoots great. I am going to get an ext. beavertail grip safety and night sites put on it shortly but right now I'm just going to test drive it a little.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Are all Para Ordnance guns except S/S coated with some double baked powder coating. If so how does it wear and protect the carbon steel parts? Does it compare to like a Black-T finish?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Nathan:
Are all Para Ordnance guns except S/S coated with some double baked powder coating. If so how does it wear and protect the carbon steel parts? Does it compare to like a Black-T finish?
No, the common finish is a black "bluing". The coating was only tried on a few prototypes (some of which obviously made it to market) and that was the end of it. I do have both a "blued" and a S/S Para. I found that Paras bluing held up just as well as any other I've see, and mine gets a fair amount of holster usage. I went to the stainless simply because I'm a sucker for the bright shiny things.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
364 Posts
Shane, you and I must be the luckiest guys alive. We get to work AND check out the forum!!! Anyways....about the standard finish on the PARA's....All "Black" frames are an oxide finish. All the "Black" slides are the Powder Painted finish. The powder paint finish is really really tough. It's double baked for durability and sheen(spelling??). In the past, there have been some complaints about the frame finish, but PARA had addressed it directly at the source, and improved the quality immensely. The slide finish, to my knowledge, has never been an issue.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hey Newton,
I keep the forum open on my work PC all day. It's not everyday I have the luxury (or time!!!) to check it out though. I like to stay current!

Anyway, now I'm getting a little confused. If we are still talking about the "duo-tone" type of finish - you are correct - it is powder coat. But not all black slides are powder coated! The frames that are black oxide, have black oxide slides. The frames that are duo-tone can have alloy or stainless frames, and the slides are black powder coated.

Clear as mud.

Have you ever toured the Para facility? QUITE impressive.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah...It's pretty cool. It's a little tough to find the place though.... OH....I'm sending you an email with some info....

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts