1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a walther ppk the kind of gun you can run thousends of rounds through like a 1911 or is it a fragile gun that is not to be shot much

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Of the small German pocket pistols, the Walther seems to be about the strongest.

I've never seen or heard a verifiable account of one actually worn out.

My old early US made stainless had at least 4000 rounds through it and was still like new when I sold it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think that I would put a lot of rounds through an alloy frame PPK,like I wouldn't shoot a lightweight Colt's Combat Commander extensively...Some PPKs are very collectible.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
The reason so many of them lasted so long is their trigger...they were no fun to shoot!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've shot my gf's stepdad's, and found it surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot--almost make's those shots of James Bond's believeable...:p

I also didn't have any problem with hammer bite, though I've heard some complain of it. He's had his for years, and its still purring along.

·
Registered
893 Posts
German pre-war carbon-steel PPKs will go tens of thousands of rounds without drama if you replace the recoil spring occasionally.

American made stainless Walthers will often peen and/or gall, but if properly lubed will be fine.

Walther Bite is not so much from the hammer- it is from the rear bottom of the slide. You end up with a pair of cuts above the web between thumb and forefinger from the back of the slide.

As mentioned above, PPK and PPK-S is super accurate for such a poorly sighted, small pistol.

Single action was great on the Walthers I had. In DA the trigger is ridiculous.

With that said, I would not consider the Walther PP series to be heavy duty in any sense of the word. Not even close to a decent 1911 for hard use durability.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is a walther ppk the kind of gun you can run thousends of rounds through like a 1911 or is it a fragile gun that is not to be shot much
My PPK, bought in '87, has a few thousand rounds through it and the only problems I had are:

Red dot on front sight fell off
Grip cracked because I tightened the screw too much
It doesn't feed hollow points reliably (though any round nose feed fine). I have not tried other magazines brands except Walther so I can't say if they would feed reliably.

I have not felt the hammer bite.

The double action trigger pull is pretty stiff but the single action pull is fine.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Not just crappy trigger and hammer bite, but the whole damn slide is sharp as hell and will slice you open. I don't know how many people I showed the PPK to that sliced themselves open when I was selling guns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
almost make's those shots of James Bond's believeable.
Ever notice how in the middle of a James Bond movie, Dr. No comes to mind- where he is told to drop it in the mud by the operators of the 'dragon' tank, that later in the movie the gun magically re-appears in his shoulder holster?

Now that's durability! Reincarnation even!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ppk

Every walther i have ever seen has a steel frame and slide. Mine is a smith and wesson walther and i have big chubby hands. I have never been hit by the slide either. It also maybe my most reliable gun. It feeds everything great evan the spear gold dots. I guess smith got em right

·
Registered
318 Posts
How can a 380 be hard on a frame? I know it is a snappy little round, and almost worse than a 40SW in perceived recoil. Still, is there that much pressure to pose a threat? I have the steel stainless American PPK with over 5,000 rounds on it, and it looks ok. It is actually more reliable and accurate than my POS P230 SIG, whcih was supposed to be the king of small pistols at one time. That SIG is the poorest performing firearm to carry that brand name. I have shot 380 regular and +P Corbons through my PPK, and I do not see marks or denting on the slide, frame, or breech face. I do use Tetra grease on the slide rails, barrel surfaces, and hood, though. It is not my carry gun. Just range only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts