1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, thinking about some ivory grips for everyday carry. I already have a set of thin ivories, they sure look & feel great, but how will they hold up to typical everyday carry and USPSA/IDPA? I heard ivory grips were pretty tough when I ordered these but they are expensive so I don't want to put them at unnecessary risk.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I like them - and have ivory on my #1 carry for some years now. IMHO ivory does need some appropriate maintenance. I'd use something else for high round count exercises and multiple day training. The topic as so many others as been discussed often.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
For everyday carry and some rough use, I'll use something less " elegant " than an ivory grips. Perhaps one of the cocobolos or even a " combat rubber grips ".

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like them - and have ivory on my #1 carry for some years now. IMHO ivory does need some appropriate maintenance. I'd use something else for high round count exercises and multiple day training. The topic as so many others as been discussed often.
It won't be a high round count gun. When I get done having the gun built, I'll probably put a few hundred through it to break it in and at most it'll probably see 100 rounds every other week for IDPA matches. Other than that, it'll live in a holster.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have had elephant ivory stocks on two CCO-style guns (a Colt Gunsite and a Baer Stinger) for years, one of which is carried frquently.
They've held up fine.

Just be sure to get good quality, well-finished examples. I had one set with a rough "crackly" finish, for a full size 1911, and they split at a bushing while shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts