1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kydex holster is beating the crap out of the blued finish on my Colt 80-series. It's pretty rough wear, it's not the same kind of subtle wear you get from a leather holster; you folks know what I'm talking about. Kydex is faster so I'm sticking with it, but I want to see if I can finish this gun with a more durable finish.

What would stand up well to Kydex? Hard chrome? Or should I just stick with leather for 1911s and get a plastic gun for a plastic holster?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hard Chrome if you can live with silver, Melonite or Ion Bond DLC if you'd prefer black.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I put a blued gun in a Kydex holster once about 6 years ago. That was a big mistake. It was perfect before that. They are very functional, but rough on gun finishes.

Rob

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
my current fav

I have a now-almost-eleven-year-old Caspian with Robar's NP3.
And a +10K rd-ct.
It goes in plastic AND moo.
Still fine fine fine.
Recommend.

(I have an older HC gun, but it can show rust.)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The pistol in the foreground has been used as a practice and training pistol for over two years to include a 1800+ round course last May and probably another 1000 since then.

She was used with "a couple thousand rounds" thru her when I bought her in 2006 and has never seen a leather holster on my watch. All my training holsters are Blade Tech Kydex.

I'm not sure what Colt's finish is (the box states Matte Blue Finish), but it's quite durable. Some wear is visible along the top of the slide (over Colt) and on the edges of the front of the slide. She's proud to display this wear. :)

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
It depends on what kind of durability you're looking for. If you want your gun to continue looking like it's never been in a holster for the duration of your natural life, Ion Bond's DLC is the way to go. If you want the utmost in corrosion resistance, , but you don't mind the appearance of holster wear (I like it, myself), then Melonite QPQ is the best choice. If you want a silver appearance, hard chrome is the toughest silver finish, but I think NP3 looks nicer. The thermally cured spray-on finishes offer a wide range of appearances, but, while they are very durable, they don't approach the durability of the finishes listed above, and will need to be reapplied eventually. The toughest spray-on finish we use in our shop is Cerakote. I personally like a blackish appearance, and detest the idea of rust. Melonite QPQ is my choice.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's funny, The wear on Chuck's pistol is exactly what my Colt now looks like; I really don't care for the bold spots, but "anal retentive" has been used more than once to describe my personality so I guess it's more my problem than the gun's :biglaugh:

Anyway, rust is not an issue for my guns since they see more than their fair share of CLP. I'm leaning towards Ion Bond DLC, I have to find out how much it is and whether applying it will void Colt's warranty on the gun.

Thank you fellas!

·
Registered
313 Posts
KimberDen said:
That's funny, The wear on Chuck's pistol is exactly what my Colt now looks like; I really don't care for the bold spots, but "anal retentive" has been used more than once to describe my personality so I guess it's more my problem than the gun's :biglaugh:

Anyway, rust is not an issue for my guns since they see more than their fair share of CLP. I'm leaning towards Ion Bond DLC, I have to find out how much it is and whether applying it will void Colt's warranty on the gun.

Thank you fellas!
$300 if you go thru www.HarrisonCustom.com :cool:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you like black, Melonite is running around $200.
I had Drake's Gun Works do a HiPower of mine a couple of weeks ago (pics are around here somewhere) http://drakesgunworks.com/
I have around 500 rounds on it since then, and the finish isn't even worn on the frame rails or barrel cam.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I have no intention of spending even $100 on mine because of finish wear. :)

It's a practice pistol. And rust is not an issue.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I've never tried Kydex with my 1911s, but do use Kydex with my Glocks. Glocks' finish can be scratched, but I've never noticed any holster-related wear on my Glocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts