1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any differences between a commander frame and government model frame other than dustcover length. Can I use a commander slide/barrel just by trimming the length of the dustcover, and if so, by how much should it be trimmed.

I realize that I could just as easily buy another commander frame, but would appreciate an answer to the question.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
The recoil spring guide abutment in the Commander frame is set back relative to the GM. This is to regain part of the slide travel given up by the shorter slide. A Commander slide might work on a GM frame, it might not. Slide travel would be shorter which could compromise ejection and feeding.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is tried more than one would think. There is a difference as was pointed out You will not have the slide travel you really need for reliability. Use a commander size lower end and save yourself from building junk.I have built severl "Short Swords" using a commander lower end and an officers top end. They are nice to carry and run 100%. I like them because they don't poke holes in the leather seats in my Caddie.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts