1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What .45ACP has THE BEST 'street record' and what do YOU carry on duty in your 1911?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I believe that that would be the 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shok, which is also what we carry for duty.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by shooter1201:
What .45ACP has THE BEST 'street record' and what do YOU carry on duty in your 1911?
I wouldn't worry about it, unless it was a record of failures of good hits to penetrate to the vitals. Way too much goes on in a lethal encounter and there are way too many variables to quantify performance within 20%

Just a thought,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It depends on what you carry. If you carry a Glock 9mm our duty round is the Federal 9mm 9BPLE Plus P Pluse 115 JHP which is a great round. In .40 cal we also issued the Federal JHP and the same in .45acp, we purchase our ammo by case lots, on state bid.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Around here, many agencies have adopted the Gold Dot's in both standard, and +P loads, depending on caliber.

Winchester Ranger +P's also show up, as do Federal Hydrashok's (Standard, +P, +P+).

IIRC, one agency had gone to to Golden Sabres, but I also heard they weren't happy with them, and switched to the Speer's.

Federal's new Expanding FMJ will likely become very popular as more agencies discover the benefits. It's certainly one that I would consider for either duty, or personal use. The design provides for consistent, and reliable expansion with good penetration, even in the cooler months where heavy clothing might be an issue.

There is no HP cavity to get clogged, and affect expansion.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
691 Posts
So no one shoots hardball for duty?

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
287 Posts
My PD issues Speer GoldDot for all calibers. Approved calibers are .357, 9MM, 40 S&W, and .45ACP. No one carries a revolver to my knowledge...I don't know if a .357 GoldDot exists.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I believe Johnson and Sanow's studies have shown the Hydra Shok to have the best proven street record of 45 ammo.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We're authorized to carry 9mm, 40, and 45. Issue is Hydrashock in all of them. I carry 230.

We used to carry Federal 'Tactical'(whatever the hell that means) 230 +P in 45, but although accurate, was hard on the guns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will guarantee you that no major departments anywhere in the U.S will carry hardball for duty ammo. The only ones I know of are military police who are stuck with hardball ammo since NATO outlaws hollowpoints. We have a large list of calibers and ammo we can choose but they all have to be hollowpoints or softpoints in the case of .223.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Any premium JHP will do, so long as you do your part and hit a vital target area. Ball works well, too, but is likely to overpenetrate (that's why many agencies don't allow it, although some do). The reality is, 45 Auto doesn't expand all that reliably, due primarily to its velocity. That's OK, though, because a .45 caliber hole is big enough to do the trick if you hit the right areas.

Remember, the 22 Long Rifle has claimed plenty.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Spend some time doing decent document searches over on the Tactical Forum [www.tacticalforums.com] and you'll see that the MOST CURRENT MANUFACTURE .45ACP loads which seem to offer the best combination of intermediate barrier penetration, combined with reliable expansion [yes, it can be achieved!] are, hands down, the 230 grain Winchester RANGER T [LE Only] load and the Speer 230 grain Gold Dot load.

The Hydrashok does OK on open targets, but reportedly not as well as the above two loads against clothing [the nose plugs up] and/or vehicles, doors, etc. Reportedly the 230 grain Golden Sabre recently showed some problems not expanding after going thru clothing as well.

Current indications seem to be that, in .45ACP, the Ranger T and Speer Gold Dot are the best for general LE issue, which is why my large dept currently issues only Speer Gold Dots for all duty use.
[Before that, we used the new Winchester Ranger T]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
230grain hydrashock. Check out Ed Sanow and Evan Marshall's work on the subject. Hydrashock is king on the street. 230 grain Winchester SXT is my second choice. They feed like crazy under varying conditions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As has been mentioned, the majority of the modern JHP loads will do their part - as well as can be expected with a handgun load - if you do yours.

fwiw...
Because I get issued them and they feed in all of my .45's, I carry Remington 230gr in the summer. In the winter, I buy the Hornady 230gr Flat Points.

Erick

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Our Dept issues .40 cal Glocks. Duty ammo used to be 180 grain Federal Hydra Shoks. We now use the 180 grain Winchester Ranger hollow point (formerly Black Talon, I believe). Regards, NAA.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To your question of the "best" street record: Evan Marshall's records have been found to be of questionable origins, so his finding of the 230 hydrashok (which he said only applied to the 5 inch barrels for the "best" street record) may not be correct. I have found thru my own testing and from seeing a police bullet demonstration that the hydrashok does not expand well after going thru cloth ( which most people wear!). Although this bullet may not expand well, when I carried a colt, I used it because it was the most accurate bullet at that time that I had tried. I now carry a Kimber and it shoots 185 grain silvertips and 185 golden sabers more accurately than anything 230 grain...which is ok with me because the extra speed of the lighter bullets may help expansion. I do however carry 230 grain ranger t ammo in my spare mag. We have issued the 185 grain silvertip and the 230 grain ranger t and recommend which ever one is the most accurate in the officers weapon to be used (providing of course it functions reliably...and neither have given any problems so far)....accuracy is the primary goal, expansion is a maybe anyway due to all the variables encountered. Yes, expansion is a good thing, but not the most important....by the way I have saw the ranger t expand well in light covered gelatin and not at all in heavy covered gelatin...heavy meaning down filled denim and light meaning 2 layers of denim by itself. It looks like you are just up the road from me so you know we usually have mild winters (not many down filled coats) so maybe by using a lighter hollowpoint and keeping our fingers crossed we'll get expansion too! and if not I believe the 185 has enough weight to get deep enough inside to get the job done (again, as long as we are accurate in its placement). So, for us it's what ever is the most accurate, a .45 is forgiving (to us) as long as we put it were it counts.......good luck, be safe, happy holidays.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts