1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for all the LEOs out there who carry some sort of 1911 on duty ... what make/model is your duty gun?

·
Registered
293 Posts
i carry i colt 1991A1, i bought it back in 1997. i have meprolight night sights on it, and ajax diamond wood grips with the gold colt symbol on it. this gun has never jammed, and i have never had to replace any parts. it gets cleaned at least once a week, and right after a rainy shift.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Colt Commander goes with me each and every day for duty use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A Kimber Classic Custom, with a set of Ahrends rosewood grips, and a arched msh. Other than that it's just a std. pistol. I have about 6000 rounds through it with no FTF on factory ammo(some of my lead loads will FTF when not seated out far enough). Other than that it digests Hydras, Gold-Dots, and Golden Sabres, with equal enthusiasm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did carry a Colt 1991 with some custom features, New trigger, night sights, hammer and sear, extended safety and slide release, two piece guide rod, beavertail grip safety) I am replacing it with a new Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. (When it shows up)

The 1991 has never caused me any problems at all, its a good pistol and priced right.

[This message has been edited by JMG (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
On duty and off, an old satin nickle pre-Series 80 Colt Combat Commander 45, soon to be semi-retired and replaced with a Parkerized Springfield "Loaded" M1911A1.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wilson CQB. Before that a springfield. Now there are two others carrying a Wilson and more converts on the way. What a gun!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Colt 1911a1, suitably set-up by Scott, McDougall & Associates.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arnistador:

What have you had done for "reliability?" What is this black teflon you speak of? I'm very curious.............

·
Registered
164 Posts
The teflon coating is MD Labs "Tefcoat" which is similar to Birdsong's Black T. I am sending the gun back to have MD's 2nd generation coating put on it which is supposedly much more abrasion resistant than any other phenolic resin teflon/moly coating.

The package done to it included polishing the feedramp, breechface, engagement surfaces, fitting/tuning 2 extractors (one spare), fitting the barrel to the slide, and fitting the slide stop (which was out of spec from the factory.) Other extras include replacing the FLGR with a standard plug and stubby guide rod, mating several small parts, light dehorn, trigger job (4.5lbs), fitting/blending S&A magwell, Mad Dog composite stocks.

I replaced the MIM firing pin stop and replaced the factory MIM bushing with an Ed Brown stainless steel one.

The gun is still tight and the action is silky smooth. The tritium sights are adequate, though I would like to add the Heinie Straight Eights.

So far, the gun has served me well with zero malfunctions since it returned from Mad Dog (have approx 1500 rounds through it since.)

Tim

·
Registered
144 Posts
It has been a Glock pistol,which has served me well.We recently won the right to carry our own weapon choice, and I am sure looking at the Para LDA.Hmmmmm. . .

·
Registered
356 Posts
I carry either a Colt 1991A1 Commander with combo Np3 and Rogard finish in 45acp. It is tricked out for duty use. I also carry a Colt 1991A1 in 38 super which is a work in progress

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by ontarget:
Question for all the LEOs out there who carry some sort of 1911 on duty ... what make/model is your duty gun?
I rotate from time to time but most often it is a Kimber Custom Classic with the F.L. guide rod replaced with standard G.I. parts and the flat M.S. Housing replaced with a checkered G.I. housing. Also I took a big file and slanted the rear face of the rear sight forward instead of backward and installed a tritium front sight.

Most common alternate is a 1944 Colt 1911a1 that someone worked over, installing a comercial 1950s "hard" slide, Ed Brown high grip safety (apparently this was a much later mod), extended thumb safety, hi-viz fixed sights, match trigger, commander hammer and the front and back are checkered. I put on thin ivory stocks so it is my "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" gun
But it shoots!... well, if I do my part.

I have a few others but they are all pretty much set up the same; fixed sights, 3.5 lb trigger, beveled mag well (no extensions), lowered ejection port, extended thumb safety.

Onward.
Jim Higginbotham

1 - 20 of 28 Posts