1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see picture below.
During cleaning last night I saw this rail wear.
200 rounds through this one week old DW.
See the nick and shine on the left rail by the slide lock?
Is this normal?
Using slide glide and some generic oil at this time...
(((Guess I should get some D40 or Mobil 1?:))))

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have to ask, was it there before you started shooting?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Of course it's normal.

That comes from the slide riding against the rounds being pushed up in the mag. That's brass you're seeing.

Bob

·
Registered
167 Posts
Of course it's normal.

That comes from the slide riding against the rounds being pushed up in the mag. That's brass you're seeing.

Bob
Bingo, brass buildup.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Bob, I'm not sure if you're "looking at the same thing the OP is". You sound like you're describing the area on the inside of the slide, by the disconnector rail, the lower corner of the breechface opposite the extractor. He sounds like he is talking about the inside corner of the left rail where it may rub against the frame as it cycles.

Either way, both look normal to me. But I'm not a gunsmith, etc.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, I'm not sure if you're "looking at the same thing the OP is". You sound like you're describing the area on the inside of the slide, by the disconnector rail, the lower corner of the breechface opposite the extractor. He sounds like he is talking about the inside corner of the left rail where it may rub against the frame as it cycles.

Either way, both look normal to me. But I'm not a gunsmith, etc.
Yep, talking about the rail, not the brass rub in the middle back area...

G

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Mer,

You are correct. That looks like one of those sharp edges that I speak of all the time.

I would lightly file, or whatever the edges to do away with the ragged edge.

Bob

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I'd say that's normal break-in. As the parts work against each other in a tightly built gun, they will wear to fit. Every gun I have ever owned shows some wear. Don't you suppose that's why racking the slide a few hundred times on a new gun is recommended? I don't think you need to worry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts