1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of the Dan's use moon clips ?

Was thinking of trying my .357 for some USPSA and it would be much easier for me using moon clips then actual speed loaders.

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Not that I am aware of, but several companies will convert them over if you want.

I am considering converting a 357mag S&W 28 over to 10mm moon clips next year so I have been investigating it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Peter.. I'm not going to a lot of expense, although Moon clips are cheaper i would think, HKS make a speed loader that's pretty easy and not real expensive, 3-a i think and I've seen Safariland ones that are for competition though a little more expensive.

just thought if it was simple i'd possibly do it.

Heck would need at least 8 speedloaders.. maybe 10 would be nicer :) and something to carry them on also.

But shooting 38's SWC compared to my .45 is like shooting nothing..

All i have to do now is get re-used to the double action on the revolver and practice some, should be fun.

this is sounding more like something i'm gonna try.. hmm...

Jeff.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 460 Rowland uses moon clips, but I don't know about the others(there was a PPC prototype(?) that might've). Give them a buzz or email-possibly the website might have something as well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Have you considered a Smith 625? .45 ACP, can be loaded with light bullets, and already set up for full moon clips.

You can use a good jacketed bullet, or even a cast round nose design to ease loading. As a matter of fact, Berry's makes a 185 hollow-base round nose that has the same length and profile as the 230 grain FMJ. I've had decent results out to 15-20 yards with this bullet.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Powderman

Yeah would love a Smith 625... can you buy it for me please ? :)

LOL.. I have the DW revolver since the early 80's when DW was the original DW...

I just want to try this as something different to do, seems like a heck of a challenge in the USPSA world.. This year i'm going to get rated in Production and Revolver if i can.. should be interesting.

Ya never know though and if i thought i'd be shooting revolver as my primary competition i'd most likely go buy the 625 or something along those lines.

Hey just for grins, what barrel length 6" or the longer i think it's 8" i've seen some guys using 4" but mostly longer..

I have the 2",4",6",8" for it with the front sight inserts etc..

Jeff.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you're talking about the competition, I think the 4" is as long as you can go. Gotta keep things fair for the Bottom Feeders, you know. ;)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
OK.....:)

If you're set on doing this with that Dan Wesson, I believe that this is what you'll have to do:

1. Have the rear part of the cylinder milled to accept the added thickness of the full or half moon clips.

2. Headspace and retime the revolver cylinder as needed.

On the positive side, from what I've seen here on the forum, the good folks at Dan Wesson will gladly make a custom cylinder for you. Of course, it will take time--and the final cost will probably be more than a brand new revolver.

On the negative side, the moon clips themselves will be a pricey proposition--unless you know someone that can stamp them out of steel for you.

All in all, it sounds like a neat project gun. Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts