1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you know if DW still supplies the adjustable sight they once had on the PT_C? The 3 dot night sights are of the same specs as Novaks, although Novak, via email, told me did not supply DW with their sights. So, now are the current production DW's of the same dovetail specs as previous models.

I am looking to get away from the 3 dot, that I may more readily pick up my POA.

Regards,
GaryF

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bob.
I have since posting found out what has taken place since the CZ buyout. I would have preferred to have the old specs so that a Bo-Mar could be attached without welding the dovetail.
Some days I just move a bit slower than others.

Regards,
GaryF

· Registered
8,380 Posts
Gary:
Actually, the rear Novak dovetail cut is 0.495" wide, not .395". Regarding your initial question, ADJUSTABLE rear sight on a Commander? By chance did you mean one of the full-size pistols? PT-C's all came with either XS or Smith Enterprises fixed sights. Anyhow, an adjustable rear sight requires surgery via the milling machine (and perhaps also a welder) over any fixed sight cut. HTH.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Dave, that is what I was looking for. I was unaware that they were found only on the 5" models. And thank you for the heads up on Smith Enterprises as the supplier. What I really need is larger light gaps on either side of the front sight. At least that is what I'm striving for. Older eyes, ya know.

Regards
GaryF

· Registered
317 Posts
Gary, if you want an adjustable sight without milling your slide, you could go with the Novak Extreme Adjustable sight. I have a set of these on a S&W 745 and really like them. I have thought a few times about moving them over to my bobtail, but I am pretty happy with the XS sights that came on the gun.

· Registered
94 Posts
STI adjustable

Anybody have one of these yet? Wondering if they are a drop in part or need another cut? It's hard to tell from the picture (http://www.stiguns.com/images/TAS.jpg) but it doesn't seem to have the overhang on the front like the Novak adjustable. Looks promising.

· Registered
94 Posts
Contacted STI

Due to lightening fast email responses, I can report that these sights are drop in and that the tritium is due by the end of this year. They're asking $140 for a tritium set. The lamps are trijicon and they'll start taking orders in a couple of weeks (the sights as pictured should be available now). I asked about the rib on my PMGD and they don't think that it will be a problem--they've never tried with one though. I'm calling Santa now:p

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Dave - Yes, I had planned to take off about .015 - .020 the front and rear sight and try that out first. Much cheaper than welding and machining a new dovetail.

However, the suggestion from Razorback36 is very interesting. It provides the "backdrop" to set up the front sight as I like. Also, I don't need tritium on the rear.

As far as the AS sights are they such that would fit in the Novak style dovetail, or do they fit in the std, Colt dovetail?

Ya'll continue to be a source of learning. Thank you again.

Regards,
GaryF

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Greg Jones said:
Gary, if you want an adjustable sight without milling your slide, you could go with the Novak Extreme Adjustable sight. I have a set of these on a S&W 745 and really like them. I have thought a few times about moving them over to my bobtail, but I am pretty happy with the XS sights that came on the gun.
Greg - My main concern is the light gap on either side of the front sight when viewed through the slot on the rear. The larger flat sight of the Bo-Mar style helps set this up nicely and can be easily opend up. I will still concider your suggestion. Now is not the time to make a quick decision. I've bought too many things two and three times in the past.

I have also considered Novak's Ghost and bar (tritium). It is not a peep sight, rather a shallow dish with a horz. bar in the middle.

Regards,
GaryF

· Registered
94 Posts
Gary,
The TAS sight I refered to above is for the Novak cut we have on our DW fixed sight pistols (only cut I'm aware of:) ). The only possible concern would be if there is any rib on top of your slide. I did ask and STI didn't think it would be a problem (sent the picture of my pointman with the rather prominent rib). No promises though.

As far as I know this is the only adjustable available that will fit these slides without the added expense of milling.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Razorback36 said:
Gary,
The TAS sight I refered to above is for the Novak cut we have on our DW fixed sight pistols (only cut I'm aware of:) ). The only possible concern would be if there is any rib on top of your slide. I did ask and STI didn't think it would be a problem (sent the picture of my pointman with the rather prominent rib). No promises though.

As far as I know this is the only adjustable available that will fit these slides without the added expense of milling.
I thought (perhaps mistakingly so) that the preCZ slides had a more shallow dovetail. I agree the TAS maybe the closest answer w/o the added work and a more viable alternative in terms of expense to see if this will do what I'm hoping for. The CBOB has no rib, so that is a good to go. When looking into things like this I always get a greater appreciation for people like Dave and his faternity of smiths. Thanks again.

Regards,
GaryF

· Registered
118 Posts
I found a pre-cz Aussie PMA-S-45. I am looking for a carry gun. This one has adjustable sights on it. Are there any 'drop-in' night sights that will work on this gun without machine work?

I was getting ready to buy a loaded stainless Springfield, but am having second thoughs after seeing this DW.

Is there a better carry model with fixed sights? All of the ones I have found have the adjustable sights. I want a full size stainless.

Would some of the new Champion adjustable sights that look like the Novaks work on this gun?

Thoughts?

· Registered
94 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the DW rear adjustables are "bo-mar" cut, so that should leave several choices for night sights. I'd see what you like and then double check with Dave or DW if they will drop in or need another slide cut. But I don't think you will.

The bigger question will be the front sight. Do some searching and you should be able to come up with the dimensions. Might need (or be able) to adjust the cut for your prefered front sight. Or you might be more limited in which ones will work as drop in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.