1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my new SSC and just couldn't wait to give it a try as this is my first 1911. Racked the slide a bunch then fired 3 or 4 rounds through the gun before taking it apart to clean & oil.

I put a a few rounds into a mag and tried to rack them through the gun. They hung on the port and would not eject cleanly. I had to drop the mag and then push the hung rounds out the bottom. Is this normal or just a result of a very tight slide /frame fit?
[My P226 I can eject live rounds with no problem so I'm curious as to why I don't seem to be able to do it with my DW]

Don't seem to be able to get the barrel out of the slide:
Following the steps outlined in the manual, taking the slide off the frame, I can not get the barrel to slide forward out of the gun. I push the barrel link forward and down then lifted it gently over the lugs, the barrel moves forward maybe an inch then hits something hard and stops. I can not tell what its hitting. So my question is what am I missing here?

Is the bushing on the end of the barrel supposed to come off before removing the barrel?

Would appreciate any help folks can provide.

DaveL

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yes, once you turn the bushing to remove the spring plug, you'll have to turn the bushing all the way to the other side. Then pull out the barrel, with link flat against the barrel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You need to remove the bushing before taking the barrel out. Note that if the
bushing is difficult to take out, you can use the barrel to gently tap on it
from the back side (assuming the bushing is aligned properly for removal, of
course).

There are a lot of how-to videos on the web that can help with field stripping
a 1911. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBrkF0sMgI

Just do a search on YouTube for "Field Stripping a 1911" and you'll find a lot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will be watching some YouTube tonight - much appreciated to you both for prompt replies. They really help keep the stress level low.

DaveL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Will be watching some YouTube tonight - much appreciated to you both for prompt replies. They really help keep the stress level low.

DaveL
Definitely come and ask before you get stressed! There's lots of help around
these parts!

Best Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts