1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been seeing a lot lately that DW has the tightest slide to frame fit going. Just out of curiosity is it because they

1. care more

2. are that much better than the rest

3. just what they do

They are not the most expensive out there so number 2 probably isn't the answer...

Best

-Coop

BTW- Only because I have been looking for a 10mm and they seem to be the most afordable for me.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have a Wilson DVD that shows some of the steps in fitting the slide to frame.
There's a bit of messing around there.
On all my other 1911s when you look at the slide frame fit back by the hammer you can see the spaces..on the DW it's almost invisible on all 10 flats of contact.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me try this again...

I appologize if my posts were curt. I just had to watch a 9 year old die in front of me because someone (ms-13) shot him in the back. I am a bit irritated andI normally don't post with sarcasm.

I asked a question that I thought was valid. I do not know a lot about DW, most of what I know pertains to SA.

I felt, maybe incorrectly, that I received a wise ass reply as if DW was the ****.

I know that most respect them and advocate their purchase as a fine weapon. I have no problem with that.

What I was inquiring about was why? A light-hearted question at best. I wasn't looking to belittle DW ... I happen to want one myself. Just wondering why their tolerances are a lot better than a $3k choice offered by some of the other makers.

Again, I appologize if I offended anybody.

-Coop

·
Registered
147 Posts
They were teasing and serious all in one, no offense need be taken. My opinion is that they do this for all of the above. They put in alot of effort into there guns and in turn are getting a better product out right now, they are not rushing to push products or upping production because of demand, they are just making a consistant quality product. Its been stated in magazines and other forums not just here that Dan Wesson is the best value and best quality gun out there right now. Of course I cant remember mags and locations so its just opinion.

We are not only addicts here but we are believers.:rock:

Jason

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
They were teasing and serious all in one, no offense need be taken....
That's exactly it! Didn't mean to take your question lightly.

I can't really say why Dan Wessons have such a tight fit when compared to others, especially those in their price range(which is about to change).

I believe that the Dan Wesson boys are set on establishing a name for themselves in the eyes of the discriminating 1911 crowd. They know they can put out a superior product, and since they're not large enough to be a pistol mill... Why not spend more time and attention on what you make a small amount of?!

Maybe think of it as a combination between, getting alot for your money in a DW, and others' not giving enough for it in their line up.

Again, forgive me for sounding like a smart ass, but alot of the guys here have been following DW for a little bit, and it seems like a regular occurance now, that newcomers show up and say, "Hey, what's up with these DW's and are they really as sweet as everyone says?!"

My advice- buy one, join the cat herd on the DW forum..... and don't look back!

....maybe, even find yourself wondering what you could get for your Springers:rock:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you need a new neighborhood.

A few months ago when I looked to buy my first 1911 I was originally looking for a Kimber. I called a local shop here and asked if they had what I wanted in stock. An old grouch said smugly "No we don't have any of those but I have something better." I thought Oh yeah? Let's see it then you smug prick."

I'm glad I decided to call him out on it. Comparing Kimbers to the CBOB and PM7 there wasn't much comparison. Both DW's fit in my hand comfortably, and perfectly balanced. Nothing shook or rattled when I handled it. Every piece fit together like a puzzle. The slide attached to the receiver in a scientifically flush manner. The EB parts are proven and all components of the weapon crafted, worthy of a competition "out of the box." If I could see straight I know it'd shoot straight, because staring at the MATCH grade barrel as I racked the slide and flipped the stop, I was told all DW
had been machine tested. Zeroed. Slingshotting the PM7's slide back to it's rightful position, extending my arm and looking down the front sight post, I knew that one was going home with me.

It's all a personal decision. It just seems to me, that "personally" many people feel this way. Whether it be the attention every gun gets as opossed to being mass producted crap, the glimmer off the pure stainless steel, or the bang for the buck.... there are lots of reasons we like DW.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
get you a CBOB. Ive got both a commander and a gov't DW... my favor goes back and forth between the two, but really the Bob is a great carry piece, home defense, and is so damn accurate... that you propably won't feel a void not having the 5 inch.

Help!!! need pics of DWs STAT!

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
get you a CBOB. Ive got both a commander and a gov't DW... my favor goes back and forth between the two, but really the Bob is a great carry piece, home defense, and is so damn accurate... that you propably won't feel a void not having the 5 inch.

Help!!! need pics of DWs STAT!
Well, here are a couple!

Blem Bob .45...

Pointman Guardian...

CBOB 10mm...

CCO...

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Nice!.... keep em coming!!

DW CBOB and PM 7 both in .45:rock:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the replies.

I didn't know that DW was that up and coming. It's good to hear that a manufacturer today takes quality and reputation to heart. It's just that I had a hard time believing an affordable maker was so consistant. Keep it up..

-Coop

I am responsible for for keeping these neighborhoods safe. I am responsible for making sure children are not murdered. Sometimes I am an ass because children are murdered on my watch and I take it out on others.

I would really like one of their 10mm. Does anyone know of durability issues shooting 10mm from a 1911 platform?

Best-

-Coop

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I would really like one of their 10mm. Does anyone know of durability issues shooting 10mm from a 1911 platform?
I have a 10mm CBOB and a Delta Elite, so I think it does just fine :)
BTW, if you were concerned about the tight tolerances and break in, I had no problems. Although I did break it in with pretty stout loads. :rock:

One is definitely 100x tighter than the other...

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Well I won't agree that DW's have the tightest frame/slide fit going. I have 2 Les Baers that are both WAY tighter than my CBOB. You'll find other LB owners on here that will agree with me.

And pretty soon Dave Severns will be along and he will disagree with me.:biglaugh:

But that being said I do believe that DW is carving a nice market position for themselves by producing what I beleive is the best value in the competitive $1,000 1911 market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts